Ever been mis-sold a job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by algorithm&blues, Jul 18, 2012.

1. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

To give some context. I started a new role in a Network Ops Centre on Monday. Prior to this I had been working in a 3rd line Wintel support role for about 6 years having been in the IT industry for 8 years after finishing my degree.

I gave up my 3rd line Wintel role as I was offered a Senior 3rd Line Wintel Engineer role at a different company. As opposed to working for one specific client, I'd be working for a number of smaller clients.

I received a £2.5k wage uplift and the people at the new company told me I'd be carrying out similar serious server work etc, only with a little bit of training helpdesk staff etc. Not a problem.

Since Monday I have done nothing of any worth and have been acting more like a secretary than anything. I have been told that I will be sitting with the helpdesk and taking calls etc etc - no server work in sight!!

I've spent a few hours spending time with lots of teams, Wintel teams, Unix teams etc - and all are amazed when I tell them I have an MCSE, 8 years of experience, and only last week in my last role I was supporting 500+ servers, managing patching, managing WSUS, deploying software, capacity management etc etc.

Truthfully, I regret leaving my old position - but there is no way back, so I've already had to start applying for new jobs!!!!!!!!

Anyone been gloriously "mis-sold" a job?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Nothing quite as bad as that, but used to get routinely sent 150+ miles to interviews that weren't what was promised by recruiters.

Also had few companies lie about their balance sheets, so got job only to be made redundant 1 year later, that happened twice.

3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Ouch. When I started reading your post I thought: "Yeah pretty much every time when I mentioned my salary requirements in range as opposed to firm figure.", but after reading the whole story I don't feel like saying it out loud (Although I just did). I had a situation where on my second day of work 9 people were made redundant and it was awkward as hell to introduce yourself around the office knowing that.

I have mixed feelings about it. First of all, 3 days on the job might be a bit short to be given admin passwords to everything. On top of that, seeing closely how it all works for a short period of time will make you better at your job. I'm pretty sure zeb mentioned that he covered for the 1st line at times.

You've been employed as a Senior 3rd line tech. Do you seriously think that any company would hire someone with that title and pay him the market rate to get him to answer calls and read the script?

I'd give them bit more time to be honest, but if not, you've got more money and nothing stops you from looking for another job.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yeah three days is too early to be sure, some companies just aren't well organised around new hires and you can be twiddling your thumbs for most of the first month.

5. algorithm&blues

Haha, for the first three days I've been answering the main building phone and transferring the calls to other people.

I was supposed to spend all day with the "Wintel Team" today. I turned up there at 9, he asked what sort of stuff I'd done before, I explained I'd been a Wintel Engineer for best part of a decade, had my MCSE, did a bit of networks, used to do Novell way back when..." He then said "aaah, well there's probably nothing I'm going to be able to show you". Fair play to the guy, we cracked up and laughed for about 5 minutes after that!

Like someone mentioned earlier, I wouldn't mind if it was just knowing how to answer the helpdesk phone just in case anyone ever calls in sick, or if the odd hour here and there is covered - but at the moment everything is looking like I'm just being stuck on the helpdesk! I've had a headset and other stuff ordered for me.

6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Do you have a job description anywhere? The one you applied for. Can you post it?

7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hopefully they are just letting you do a mile in all of their teams shoes before settling you into your Wintel position. Could also be that they wanted you but didn't have time to organise what you'll be looking after so the server team is shuffling their work around OR that you'll be needed when they win another contract but they needed to be ready to rock on day one when that contract is hopefully won. Give it six months. If they give you low end work, you will demolish it and make it glaringly obvious that you're a wasted talent. I only say 6 months as leaving now might seem like a bit of a blight on your CV and besides, 2.5k more is a nice little boost which you can spend enjoying yourself.

I'm sure it is very gutting not getting thrown in as a hardcore Wintel guy but you may well find they do what they are doing to see if you can cope with the mundane before rewarding you with schema changes and setting up a Citrix farm etc. Failing that PM me in a few months, we're always hiring Wintel and it doesn't get any more hardcore than where I'm at. Best of luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. algorithm&blues

Here's as much of the job description I could paste without giving the company away etc..

"Senior Windows Systems Engineer
    Working within ITIL framework.
    1st point of escalation for all incoming contact/issues.

Attempt 'First Time Fix’ where possible.
    Work with with other technical teams.
    Perform scheduled change activities.
    Mentor junior team members and other teams, acting as a technical authority where needed.

Requirements
    • Knowledge of ITIL principles.
    • Knowledge of Windows 2003 and 2008/Exchange/Active Directory/DNS, TCP/IP etc
    • Understanding of networking.
    • 5 years or more experience in a 3rd line/senior support role.

Desired Skills
    Any Unix skills would be considered beneficial, although not essential.
    MCSE/MCITP/Similar certifications would be considered beneficial.
    CCNA certification would be considered beneficial.

Personal Skills
    • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
    • Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritising accordingly

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sorry but the two bolded comments above scream to me 1st line work, perhaps it's a case of you not reading the job spec properly?

As far as the role is concerned, you got a pay rise out of it when a lot of people are being made redundant (my place just got rid of approx 10% of the IS workforce) so whilst it's not the role you want be thankful that it's a role.

Now you could of course go back to your old place explaining that the new role didn't work out... but I was always told never to go back.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. algorithm&blues

The "First Time Fix" part I understand yeah.

The "escalation" part is probably a bit out of context. At the same time the company were advertising for Helpdesk roles, and in their adverts they have the line "First point of contact for all incoming calls/emails".

I think the idea meant between the two is that the helpdesk guys deal with first point of contact, and all escalations go to the 2nd/3rd liners.

11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I soooo disagree with this statement but I don't want to discuss it either.

I agree however that this looks like a senior front-line support position. The experience requirement is misleading but certifications are not required (not essential). Did you not discuss your responsibilities during the interview stage?

To be honest it looks to me like you applied and accepted 1st line support role with ridiculous requirements (which you meet) and a decent paycheck. While the salary increase is nice, if I were you I'd be out as soon as you can. 1st line day to day can kill your drive and will look odd on your CV.

Good luck!

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've been mislead in the past as well... there was this one time where I accepted the job thinking I'd be working as a level 3 support which includes VMware/Storage/Networking/Windows/etc... I was literally told that during my interview and I even asked again at the end of the interview.. when I got there, all it was is just doing internal tech support and some level three work, more like monitoring... I came from a role where I was level 2+3 and I pretty much did a lot of the implementations.

I then spoke to my boss and his basically kept avoiding me until I just found something else and left. I heard that after I left, they went through 2 guys and one quit the other got fired. Sometimes the interviews are misleading, I've experienced that first hand.

I do have to admit, that the description does sound like a supporting role, could be level 1-3. I find that the senior roles have lots of description on the job, jobs that have very little description, I tend to stay away from.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA