eventually this will meet your requirements (RIP)

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by kobem, Oct 6, 2007.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

before reading your posts i opened paint and formed a draw even if it comes hard

here my own image
    http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/2153/mypicoffvk8.jpg

hey here is ankara and izmir routers and think that you have given names and ip addresses and interfaces also set the local side of ankara router "but not any routing"

in this position should a ping from workstation be successful to "serial interface of ankara" ?

my thought : no , because according to workstation a , serial side of ankara is remote and routing is needed "am i thinking wrong"?

however , asking an another question too

2- imagine the same schema but with these ip addresses below

router a is ankara

router b is izmir

between host a and ankara , network address is 172.16.2.0/24
    between ankara and izmir router , network address is 172.16.1.0/24
    between izmir router and host b , network address is 172.16.3.0/24

and may our routing protocol be "RIP"

due to my words and RIP , subnet mask won't be sent to next router like
    ankara will send 172.16.0.0 / 16 and izmir does it too

but both of them already knows 172.16.0.0 so packets will not be routed properly
    am i wrong ? if not why ?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

any reply?

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

People will reply when they are ready, you have to be patient.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It is Saturday evening in the UK - give people a chance!

As I'm not a Cisco expert (or one in RIP) I can't really answer.

My major problem in understanding the question is that I don't know quite where "setting up a router" meets "not any routing".

Perhaps the best thing might be to post the commands you used to set the router up from scratch.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i expressed that i didn't do routing just gave ip addresses and configured OK?

6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

come on !

7. greenbrucelee

this isn't a forum just to answer your questions, all you do is ask questions you don't help anyone else.

This is a place for people to help each other not just you.

As Harry said Its Saturday Night a lot of people are out or are doing other things.

8. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

you are true and want that you know i am not a selfish person , when i feel enough
    in terms of knowledge , i will help too

9. greenbrucelee

I thought you had basic knowledge so you should be able to reply to other people and help them.

I would answer your query bu CCNA stuff isn't my thing so I can't

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sorry can't help you with Cisco equipment as I don't work with them (apart from one and an external company deals with it) and haven't done any courses on that equipment :(

I didn't know that you could ping be to a "serial interface of ankara" from a workstation, I thought you would telnet to the serial interface???

As for your second question, in order for any network to connect to another network you need some sort of routing between them (either RIP, OSFP or IS-IS) unless I'm mistaken (lets face it at this time of night, it's possible) :)

Cisco's page may help you :)

-ken

p.s. or it could be that I totally misread your question, in that case just ignore my post :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

The three networks are contiguous, and RIP will network between them - you have set the masks as 255.255.255.0 on the network interfaces, and RIP will use these to work out the routes. It will not summarize using a 255.255.0.0 mask, because the interfaces are /24, as specified by you.

WorkStation A -- 172.16.1.0/24 -- Router A -- 172.16.2.0 /24 -- Router B -- 172.16.3.0/24 -- Workstation B

Using RIP version 1, and setting it to route for network 172.16.0.0, Workstation A can ping Workstation B (and all router interfaces in-between).

If the network between routers A and B had not been 172.16.x.x (for example 172.20.2.0) THEN the networks for WorkstationA and WorkstationB would be discontiguous and RIP would not have been able to route between them.

If you do not specify a routing protocol, then the pings would only work for connections that are directly known to each router - thus WorkstationA can ping both interfaces on router A and the 172.16.2.0 interface on router B. It can not ping the 172.168.3.0 interface on router B nor Workstation B.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  12. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

thank you but i see you didn'T answer MY QUESTION , you answered but not my question

AGAIN

1- i say only configuring the ankara and izmir routers with host names and ip addresses ,
    "without doing any routing" am i able to ping from from pc1 to serial interface of ankara ?

2- all of these are parts of the major network 172.16.0.0 however , rip is used and as rip
    supports contiguous , everything seems alright BUT ankara and izmir both has 172.16.0.0
    network so there has to occur a problem i think , is this wrong?

13. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I ANSWERED BOTH OF YOUR QUESTIONS - OKAY??!!

Try reading my answer - AGAIN.

14. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

sorry but did you mean that :

1- without any routing pc1 will not be successful on pinging to serial interface of ankara?

2- you replied this too but haven't understood yet.

15. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

1. My bad: host A can NOT ping the serial interface

2. You are confusing yourself because 172.16.x.x is a class B network but you have specified a class C mask - 255.255.255.0.

RIP will work with the mask that is on the interface, that is it will use 255.255.255.0. Using this mask, it can create routes for each of your three networks. They are all 172.16.x.x, that is they are contiguous, so RIP works.

If the middle network had been a different network, for example 172.17.x.x then (AFAIK but someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the two 172.16.x.x networks would be discontiguous and RIP (version1) could not create all the necessary routes for this network.

16. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

first answer is ok , second?

second : i say same all again without feding up

both ankara and izmir knows about 172.16.0.0 , so routing between them
    must bring out a problem (not properly routing)

17. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Kobem, the questions you are asking are SINGLE EXAMPLES of a topic as a whole. Unless you go back to the BASICS, then you will have to ask a question FOR EVERY SINGLE CONFIGURATION you see. If you knew the BASICS then you would understand the principles involved, and be able to apply this knowledge to understand INDIVIDUAL EXAMPLES that are new.

I have a feeling that this has been said to you before and I will not say it again. I am not trying to be unkind, but you MUST understand the BASICS FIRST. :)

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  18. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

you say "basics" i always have a look at basics when i forget them. maybe you are not informed
    about this so that you always same things over and over again

then i am suspicious on some stuff such as the question i asked last.

19. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I also will say the same all again. ankara and izmir will route based on 172.16.0.x, 172.16.1.x and 172.16.2.x because YOU have set the mask at each interface as 255.255.255.0

They will route without a problem.

20. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

another example came into my mind

plan ankara izmir and a third router istanbul (just add third to my previous question)

and think that istanbul is connected to izmir , istanbul has pc3 host

network between izmir and istanbul is 172.16.5.0/24

and local network under istanbul is 172.16.6.0/24

would there be a problem ?