Event Viewer error message

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Sep 11, 2008.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok asking for a little bit of help again...

I have a customers platform that supposedly Bluescreens for them. I have had it in test for a week now, running thier software, connected to teh network etc and have not seen a single bluescreen. I've rebooted the unit several times, tested the hard disk but cant fault it.

So today i decieded to llok at the Windows Event Viewer logs. I can see several errors listed, the most common one being Service Control Manger. When i click on taht to get more info the message box says :-

the ArcRelay service failed to start due to teh following error:
    The system cannot find teh device specified.

The problem lies in the fact that i can not find any info online about teh ArcRelay service and what it does. I have no idea what device its looking for etc. So any suggestions?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I suppose the customer doesnt know what its for then, they dont plug anything else in when your not there do they. Did you goto site and take the machine away. What did you unplug or what is different about the setup in your lab and when its in its production environment. Whatever it is, is more than likely the issue if you cant get it to fail in your lab.

I've got not idea what arcrelay is TBH, but whatever it is when/if it loads correctly I would be inclined to think that was the problem.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The first thing I'd suggest is looking through the services list - the description should appear there. This may give you some clue as to what it is!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Sorry for the delay hehe but I second dales on that.
    Also, RAM can bluescreen you very often and in very INTERMITTENT way. Ask the customer(if he still sees these BSOD) when exactly he's getting the BSOD.. if it is when they start a specific program,then it is the program ,if when he prints,then might be the drivers for the printer etc... if it is not something specific,then most probably it is a harware problem,RAM to be on the top hardware list.If he uses windows Vista,you can check the RAM using Vista's built-in troubleshooting software tools.If not,you will have to swap them etc.....and this could be frustrating since a computer that has a faulty RAM module can bluescreen you once every week maybe....and make sure the RAM modules have all the SAME bus frequency(same specifications).

Hope this helps

5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well the ARCRelay is a red herring. Seems we need it installed but dont use it for our software according to teh techs (go figure?)

After 2 weeks of testing i still have yet to see this BSOD. The customer still isnt very helpful as they say its random and never took and notes of the actual error.

I'm giving it another week of solid testing, using BurnInTest to stress teh memory, hard disk and CPU, will run memtest and SeaTools to see if anything crops up. Then it will be returned and we'll have to wait to see if it BSOD once back at the customers site.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Yes... and i am pretty sure that it is a hardware problem, and again, RAM are 90% the cause of all HARDWARE related BSODs ,plus they are the cheap in case of a replacement.
    Are those diagnostic tools for free? What exactly does Seatools test in a hardisk? Does it just scan for bad sectors or it does much more than the checkdisk utility available in command prompt?

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might be worth patching the OS and updating drivers, if there are any updated versions available that is. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs