Evening All!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Gavin Payne, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Gavin Payne

Gavin Payne New Member

Hey folks,

Where to start?

I'm currently researching various certification options and could do with a bit of guidance on where to start.
    My goal is to gain an MCSE but I'm not sure wether to take the A+ and/or Network+ exam beforehand.

I have been browsing this site for a couple of weeks now and have picked up a lot of valuable information.
    After reading various posts throughout these forums, I have decided that self study is the route I'd like to take. Buying materials and studying at home, work etc.

I have been working in I.T within the education sector for almost 4 years now and have progressed from an ICT Support Assistant to an ICT Support Technician.
    Sadly, the school I work at seems very reluctant to offer any kind of personal development and now it's time to take the bull by the horns.

Looking forward to hearing your views and suggestions.

Gavin

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF :)

The A+ and N+ will be usefull for you and with your experience they shouldn't take you long to do either, they together count as an elective toward the MCSA.

I would say that after the N+ have a look at the MCDST or MCSA before going for the MCSE.

The MCSE is a pretty tough cert to get and you need the experience in doing MCSE related work before going for it.

Whatever you decide good luck and let us know how you go.

BTW a lot of companies wont help you train as it costs them money, my work wont.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Gavin and welcome to CF:), considering your exposure and experience I think you can have a go at the MCSE but it's tough and needs lots of hands on experience.

Well with determination and hard work it's do able, cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Welcome

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)