Evaluation Licences

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by wizard, Sep 12, 2006.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have a question about evaluation Licences.

What happens once the licence expires? Can you get another licence key at the end of the evaluation period as I wouldn't be using the software in a production environment?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

You have 2 choices. Reinstall the software with the same license, or just before it expires, turn the clock back on your machine. :twisted:

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. snoopy51

snoopy51 Bit Poster

Once it expired, it refuses to boot up!

Certifications: MCSE (2K, 2K3), MCDBA, IBM CP, LPIC-1
    WIP: LPIC-2
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Okay but is there anything stopping you from obtaining another licence key from MS?

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have never tried, TBH. I purchased an Actionpack (before they made half of it free :twisted: ). I would assume you need to re-install the same image with the original key. MS wouldn't want to make it too cosy for trial stuff.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Okay so basically take an image of the hard drive then re-install the OS?

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think it is probably best to avoid this issue TBH.
    MS give out the trial software on the condition that you play with it for free in the hope that you or someone you show it to will buy it within the six months.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Wizard,

I suggest that if you are going to be playing around with a lot of trial software that you get either an Action Pack Subscription or a Technet One.

Both of these services offer fully functioning non time limited products. I think that the only limit on them is that you can't use them on more than 10 PC's.

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Thanks Simon :)

Another question, I assume that the time will start running from the time of installation, not the time that you obtained the evaluation software?

10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Am I missing something here? Is there a problem with reinstalling an evaluation copy after the evaluation period has expired? I could in theory keep on downloading new copies from MS and request a new product key so why couldn't you just reinstall from the same CD with the same key? I've never looked too hard at the EULA for the evaluation CDs I have, but I always assumed you could just reinstall them indefinitely.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i always thought that once i downloaded, installed the trial (keys get sent into the registry) and after the trial is over, then you have to either uninstall or purchase the software. Even uninstalling it and reinstalling it wont work, cuz like i said, the keys are in the registry, unles of course you strip it down and delete the keys manually....

12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

We're talking OSes here Cheek. If you format a drive and reinstall the OS there is nothing left of the original registry.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

As far as I'm aware, the licence starts from the install time. These can not be upgraded to a full version. That's the point of an evaluation version. So with this in mind, if you back up you system state data and then restorte after a reinstall then your back to square one.

Of course I may be wrong :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

oh.. thought you were on about other stuff... yeah i agree with Baba...

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

When I was using evaluation software (got the action pack now) I just did an in place upgrade when I was alerted that the evaluation period was near the end. I kept my domain running for years without problems and without having to start from scratch ie format etc.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I am in the process of getting the parts together to build a server and I have ordered the evaluation kit of Small Business Server 2003 Premium edition. The technet and actionpack subscriptions a little expensive for me to fork out for at the moment, but will consider them in the future.

17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Got the evaluation software today, arrived very quickly, I was pleasantly surprised, got the motherboard and processor now, hopefully in a position next month to build the server :)

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good stuff Wizard - you will like SBS!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)