Ethernet WAN to MPLS Migration Question - Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Service Provider' started by cactus, May 27, 2011.

1. cactus

cactus Bit Poster

Hi All,

I have been asked a theoretical question on how to migrate a company with several sites currently connected via ethernet using EIGRP.

They wish to move to a managed MPLS environment.

The answer I have suggested is that they can connect to a managed MPLS cloud via an Customer Edge Router such as a Cisco 1841 at each in order allow connectivity to the cloud.

I assume this answer is correct, but I am unsure how the 1841 would "physically" connect to the data centre, ie what connectivity options are available?

Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

Cactus

Certifications: HNC Elect & Tcomms, CCNA, ITIL Fndtn, CCNP BCMSN, CCNP ROUTE
    WIP: CCNP TSHOOT, CCNA Security
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

crossover cable to the companies WAN router.

You have deemed the customer edge router as the 1841, therefore this router will be in the companies data centre, os can be connectd via ethernet to the customer's own router.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. cactus

cactus Bit Poster

Hi Daniel and thanks very much for your prompt input.

Your answer makes sense.

I suppose what I am asking that if the 1841 router is at the customer's site, how can I physically (or virtually) connect to the MPLS Cloud at the new data centre?

ie do they decommission their existing ethernet WAN links to each of their sites and then connect centrally to the MPLS cloud in order to achieve inter-site connectivity? and if so, how?

I hope this makes sense!?

Cactus

4. cactus

cactus Bit Poster

Looking through the CBT Nuggets on MPLS, I can clarify my question:

How does a Customer Edge Router connect to a Provide Edge Router? ie what WAN technology or link can you use?

Ta!

5. danielno8

At my work it's all LAN Extension Services (LES) connections. Basically as part of the MPLS managed service from your provider, they also put in a connection into your the datacentre. This connection is what takes them into their 'point of presence' in the city/area your data centre is.

6. cactus

cactus Bit Poster

Thanks Daniel,

Yes we use 10 Meg LES also for our remote sites, but all our main WAN links are customer owned fibre. Hence my lack of knowledge of a real world MPLS solution.

So that must mean that although an MPLS cloud solution can reduce costs by reducing leased lines in a meshed network, I suppose the customer will still need a connectivity method to the datacentre ie a leased line!

Thanks again,

Cactus

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

We also use the Cisco routers in each office to connect to the MPLS cloud. I know that the provider configures the necessary ports on those routers, etc... and just install them in each office. I never set them up but from what I can see, this is how we've done it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. cactus

cactus Bit Poster

Thanks for the info Prof,

From what I see from looking around the net, most of the MPLS cloud providers seem to provide preconfigured customer edge routers to the customer for installation at that site.

The info I was struggling to get was how the customer edge router connects to the mpls cloud, it seems that there are a few ways including Daniel's solution of LES connection, but also leased line and even broadband.

Thanks again for all input on this thread.

Cactus.

9. danielno8

Leased line/LES are effectively the same thing. I've never seen the use of broadband by the MPLS provider to connect their CPE to their POP.

10. cactus

cactus Bit Poster

Cheers Daniel,

Sure, LES is one type of leased line (Ethernet over Fibre at my firm, provided by Virgin Media Business), but other leased line solutions could be an E1/T1.

I have found some info regarding broadband access to MPLS, it is quite interesting reading:
    Architecture Overview of an MPLS-Based Access VPN

[​IMG]

11. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

BT definitely offer ADSL connection to their MPLS network, a retail company I worked with 4 or 5 years ago rolled it out to all their stores.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
  12. danielno8

Yep that is some good info. I was thinking of using an internet based ADSL, with VPN into the MPLS cloud. I didn't realise there were private ADSL services out there! Good stuff.

13. dalesteyn08

dalesteyn08 New Member

Check this link, you get all your answers
    MPLS service