ESXi 3 to 4

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Theprof, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello,

Quick question... I currently have an ESXi 3 booting of a USB stick... and of course the vm's setup on the hard drives of the server... if I upgrade the ESXi 3 to 4 on the USB stick, will the effect the VM? I dont think it but I just want to be sure.

Thanks.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Dont put it on the USB directly, do a upgrade via the Host Update Utility (Version 4!) over the network.
    just make sure you have enough memory,storage on the usb stick and check hardware compatibility

1. Boot up your ESXi 3 server put it into maintenance mode
    2. Install vsphere client 4 and the Host Update Utility on to a machine. (or just the host update utility)
    3. download the ESXi update zip file (don't unzip)
    4. Uses the Host Update Utility to apply this ESXi update package using the root login credentials
    5. util does checks, and updates (don't close the Update Utility until its complete)
    6. after login, you may have to reboot and/or take it out of maintenance mode
    7. Note you have to re-licence within 60 days

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thank you very much Supernova!

It worked pretty well.... although it took 3 tries to get it to update! Then once the host was updated, I had to re-add the storage drives and all worked excellent after that!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Glad you sorted it out.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots