ESX Compatible Network Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnBradbury, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Okay so I need to start looking at network cards for my ESX lab and I want to save some cash. Call me tight but the thought of sending a fortune on network cards just doesn't appeal.

I've searched the compatibility list and found the following:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/com...6&datePosted=-1&vid=&did=&svid=&ssid=&rorre=0

Ebuyer has:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&cat=109&q=INTEL+PRO+NIC&sort=relevancy&limit=10

The server cards get quite expensive but the desktop versions aren't mentioned on the compatibility list. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I haven't played with ESX, but you can't go wrong with Intel Pro NIC's. The Proset software is very good on servers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The Pro1000/GT uses the same driver (e1000) as the more expensive server cards
    have not tried it in vSphere but it worked fine in 3.5 in my home lab :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. JohnBradbury

Thanks guys...

Ryan, out of interest did you go for ECC RAM in your hosts?

I have some on order now but the lead time is quite long and I'm considering dropping in some non-ECC which I can get in a day or two.

5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ive done the same thing recently, the onboard card i had wasnt compatible, so I bought one of these off ebay, an Intel PRO/1000 GT PCI Desktop Adapter and its worked fine in both 3.5i and 4i, my setup uses 3Gb (bought an extra 2gb) of non ecc memory but to be honest i needed something cheap and wasnt looking for fantastic performance just something to play with, the rest of the machines 3 years old lol.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've got the same NICs as Ryan in my hosts - they do indeed work well. Also, I've got non-ECC RAM in there and the hosts have been up without complaint for about nine months now. I wouldn't bother with it tbh. Most RAM modules are sound enough nowadays anyway. You'll also get the absolute tiniest of performance increase by using non-ECC

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

if you can avoid it
    dont pay for ECC ram

some chipsets are going to require it though

My main systems at home are all being upgraded post US move to Core i7 platforms with 24GB non ECC Ram
    when I can find 24GB kits :(
    seems vendors are only spitting out 2GB modules for the most part to consumers
    giving me room for 12GB per mobo
    in the server world. 4GB is the defacto before the price point gets stupid (4GB HP memory, 198 bucks, 8GB HP memory, 1600 bucks)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. JohnBradbury

Thanks guys .. now on order

I also managed to cancel my order for ECC memory with Dabs (they were messing me about). I ended up purchasing Corsair 4GB kits from ebuyer which showed up extreemly quickly. Testing them today and we're cooking with gas.

I've started putting up some pictures and information on my blog to keep a record of it all.

Just wanted to thank you for all the great advise, no doubt I'll have more :blink