Eset Nod32 AV Business Edition

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Notes_Bloke, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi all,
    Does anybody use / support the above in a corporate environment using ERAS/ERAC?
    Only I've a problem with the updating of remote clients using dual profiles and could do with picking someone's brains.

Cheers
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Whats the problem mate?

I use NOD32 at work for most of the networks I support.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Notes_Bloke

Hi mate,
    I'm looking at moving the company over from Sophos to Nod and have got a 30 day trial with 15 licences. I've set the ERAS up and created the LAN mirror and it all works fine for clients on the LAN. The problem I'm having is getting the remote clients to update (laptops) when not on the LAN. I've set up the second updating profile and specified this in the scheduler but it doesn't appear to work properly. If I change the primary update source to 'INET' and the secondary to 'LAN' then it behaves itself.
    I've been on to ESET tech support over this but still waiting for response/solution.

Any ideas?

Cheers mate.
    NB

4. Sparky

I usually set up two packages, one for PCs on the LAN and one for laptops.

If you just configure the update server as automatic and key in the username and password you got from ESET then the laptops will happily update from the ESET servers when they are not on your LAN.

Not sure if this fixes your problem as such but it works for me! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Notes_Bloke

Yes, I initially had it set up that way but ideally it would be better if the laptops updated from the mirror when on the Lan. Its not that I can't get it to work, I can, its just intermittent at best.

In regards to ESET, how have you found there support side? Only I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen so far, and one of the reasons I want to move away from Sophos is because of the support (or lack of).

NB

6. Sparky

ESET have been fine so far. I’ve had to log a couple of calls about the Exchange plug-in (XMON) but that’s about it.

I would still move to ESET if I were you, I have migrated loads of networks from McAfee, Sophos and Symantec and the amount of support calls we log for AV issues have dropped big time, especially since NOD moved to v3.

For what you are trying to do is it possible to set up a web update mirror instead? You might be able to publish the mirror so the laptops would update from your server when they are not on the LAN. You could have a URL such as http:\\avupdate.companyname.com which would resolve internally to your AV server (for the LAN clients) and externally the clients could connect over the web as needed.

From the ESET site:

You may deploy as many Mirror servers as you deem necessary for the efficient distribution of virus signature and program component updates within your environment. The Mirror server can be configured in either of the following two ways:

• As an HTTP server
    • As a shared network folder

7. Notes_Bloke

Hi Sparky,
    Thanks for the info.
    I managed to get it sorted in the end. For some reason it wouldn't automatically fall-over to the secondary backup source unless I used and configured the default 'My Profile' as the secondary source. It's strange how it wouldn't work before, but now it's sorted.

NB:D

8. Sparky

Glad its sorted mate :thumbleft