ESD in real life

Discussion in 'A+' started by afusco86, Apr 6, 2006.

1. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

Awwwwwww

How's it going guys?

Well, last week I've started the so long dreamed volunteering work at my company, I mean, I work in there, in some offices, and now they let me work with the IT department a couple of hours a week. Not bad as a start...

My first job was a memory upgrade in all the PCs of my department, a dozen maybe. Really easy task even for a fresher like me.

The guy I was with obviously showed me how to do it and, guess what(!!!), he basically didn't give a shite at all about taking anti-ESD precautions. :ohmy

Yes, everything was done with no wrist-straps or antistatic mat, nothing at all. :blink Plus, the inside of all PCs was just a brutal view. I think I've never seen motherboards and cards covered with that much dust and dirt :eek: ('Yeah I know, I need to clean them' and I was goin 'how about... NOW??' :dry ).

Now, let me go back to my dilemma.
    If there's one question I'm sure I won't get wrong at my exam, is the one about ESD, if I'll ever come across it.

I'm been never concerned about ESD, but after reading and listening to Meyers words, I'm more than concerned about it.

I mean, it was a good dozen of 1GB memory sticks and I felt like 'oh my.. :rolleyes: I aien't doin that, I have to say something, what if even just one of them is destroyed by ESD'

but, as you can imagine, I either was so excited about my (almost) first time and also the guy didn't look much like someone who would be going to be happy with a youngster telling him he was doing something wrong.

So, what should I have done?
    Or perhaps, was it actually worth to be afraid of that?

please guys help me out, I don't know him, but as you see, he's not one of the best techs in this world and I need to know how to behave in the future :cry:

WIP: A+
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

You should always be careful when handling computer components.

ESD is a very real threat, and the usual practice is to not take the item out of any ESD resistant packaging. (Usually thickish see through plasticy stuff for RAM)

As far as upgrading, some people swear by Anti static wrist straps, others swear that all you need to do is leave the computer plugged into the wall (while the socket is switched off) and ground yourself by touching the case at all times. (Which is my preferred method.)

But all in all, ESD is a very real threat. You may get away with it once, or even twice, or even more . . . but eventually, it will catch up to you.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

The truth of the matter is this..

ESD is very real my friend and the advice and warnings you gain in your studies should not be taken lightly.

What you have experienced is a classic case of someone elses bad habits and to be honest with you a potentially very embarassing one.If one or more of those sticks had blown due to ESD where do you think the blame would most likely have gone to?

Stick to your guns,ask for ESD equipment when handling sensetive devices,make it clear you are aware of the potential risk of NOT using ESD precautions and don't take other poeples bad habits on board.

Finally,if you decided the easiest thing to do was to skip ESD whilst replacing PC components and reflect that in an A+ exam you will lose marks.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  4. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

Thanks a lot guys!

Very strong comment, I so appreciate it. I just want you guys to know that I'm not gonna get those bad habits, indeed I'll speak up next time, taking the risk to lose this opportunity, but, after all, it aien't a good opportunity if this guy teaches me bad things is it?

Your words are helpful as always.

Cheers guys!

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sometimes ESD precautions are skipped to save time, simple as that.

Your right but if someone told YOU how to do your job on their first day what would you say to them? Its worth thinking about it if you want to keep a good relationship with the guys you are working with for the time being.

Once you are more settled you can start stirring things up! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with that sentiment!

Bear in mind that people may have more experience than is obvious by just observation. ESD straps are recommended for sure but all they do, is to prevent your body from becoming statically charged. As has been mentioned, there are other ways of doing the same thing. Holding on to a grounded metal case will do the same thing as an ESD strap. The strap just allows you to be able to use two hands.

If you are sitting an A+ exam then ESD straps are a must but in the real world they are often forgotten.

Personally I don't use them and I have never damaged any electronic circuitry by ESD since I started dealing with ICs/chips in 1969 :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Normaly I don't use ESD straps - as I too make sure of grounding every so often.

However, at the fairs I do tech assistance at I make a point of wearing one. It is amazing how you can intimidate self-important idiots by displaying it and asking - "Did you wear one?" :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

the reason why i cried it out is that I did notice he didn't touch the psu or anything to get grounded with the motherboard. I too know you can do that, that's what I've done actually, I wasn't gonna pay for some fried ram sticks.

It's just... he didn't give a shite, neither he told me anything about ESD.. fair enough, I was supposed to know that, but I do think that that was a bad habit demonstration. I'm there to learn and I would just like him to tell me everything he thinks is good for me to know.

My bigger concern was about the future... with maybe bigger jobs.. that's it guys

cheers

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

With each IT job you have you will gain experience, some experiences will teach you how not to do things and others will make you a well rounded IT Pro! 8)

Get ready to be shocked, I went to visit a potential client a few weeks ago and they had not backed up any data on their file server for 2 years! I almost fainted! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm a bit like Blue on this one, have been handling electronic components for many years without an ESD strap (but with some precautions, ie grounding on case) and have never yet killed anything with static.

An old friend once said to me, you are the kind of person that will damage things with static or you aren't, and I guess I fall into the latter category. I think some people are more prone to it, no scientific evidence etc.. but it's been try so far.

Right, I'm off to rub a balloon against my jumper before I put this stick of ram in ... :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Really, you do that too? And I thought it was only me. :biggrin

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard