Es-net Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Shaneo85, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Shaneo85

Shaneo85 New Member

Hey, I'm looking for a tutor led training providor (not distance learning) to get my MCDST cert. I've found one which is only a stones throw from where I live, Es-net Training.

Having just phoned them up I've found the course costs £1995 +VAT. Other than the price, the woman didn't seem to know much else :rolleyes: Has anyone here ever used Es-net who might be able to shed some light on their scheme?

2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Nope, never heard of them, since I'm not even from the UK (:p) but imho you shouldn't pay that much for MCDST training.

Everything you need to know can be found in these two books:

MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit: Supporting Users & Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System

MCDST Self Paced Training Kit: Supporting Users & Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on Windows

That alone would cost you a whopping 58,55 pounds in total, VAT included :tune

Note that there are other books that combine both exams in one book, which would be even cheaper.

Maybe throw in the CBTnuggets video's at 249 $ and you'll still have plenty to invest in other, harder certifications.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Got to agree with Simon. Paying £1995 + VAT for a MCDST course is a lot for what it is. Get the MS books and a cheap PC and do self study or check your local colleges as some offer courses like this for a fraction of the price. If not and you really want to do instructor lead then do a bit of Googling on the training provider for complaints and recommendations. Also with a lot of TP's you can usually knock them down on price if your paying yourself.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Shaneo85

Shaneo85 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Can I ask how long it took you guys to self study for the 2 exams? And also if you passed first time?

5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Everyone takes a different amount of time its dependent on a lot of factors but you have two things to take into account:

1. The MCDST is being retired as of the 31st March 2011 so you've got a big fat fixed deadline to work with
    2. Prometric are currently offering a deal which will give you 15% off each exam and a free second shot at each as well which takes a lot of the pressure off getting it right first time!

Some have studied and completed it in a month, others have taken six, all you really need to know is the sooner you start, the sooner you can get it finished!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. Shaneo85

Shaneo85 New Member

Thanks Josiahb.

Appart from the 2 Microsoft training books, is there any other recommended reading material you would suggest?

7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Nothing else I'd recommend but then I haven't actually taken the exams yet!

Ask me again next monday and I might have a very different answer!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  8. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Six months of selfstudy, with some breaks in between.
    Looking back at it, it should be possible in three months or less, if you really have the time and dedication (which I hadn't at that time).

Yes, the Windows XP Help function should be detailed enough about most of the tools/commands and ofcourse the Microsoft website and this forum :)

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless