error loading operating system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carlito, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Carlito

Carlito Bit Poster

hi all,

im getting the above error on my dell laptop. not sure why, i just switched it off one night and the next morning i got this :dry

i haved checked the bios and the hdd is detected however when attempting a windows repair windows tells me it cannot dectect any hdd.

i have done a bit of googleing but nothing seems to really determine the problem, so was wondering if anyone had encountered this before ?

thanks

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

How old is the computer???? and has it been working poerfectly until this point? and have you done anything major to it recently??

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Carlito

Carlito Bit Poster

hi,

its about 5 years or so old, nothing major at all its hardly been used and nothing major has been done to it either

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you can boot with safe mode with command prompt and do chkdisk /r and let it run.

if you can get to the dell recovery partition run the dell diagnostic utility.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

is the HDD still a bootable option in the bios? how far will it get? if you can boot from an OS disk can you tell it to repair the MBR or boofcfg file? I had a similar problem with my mum's friend's computer, they gave it to a "techie" to repair and it came back saying that. I booted using a linux CD and found that there was nothing at all on the HDD but it was visable from the OS. If you boot an OS this way you could at least check that the HDD is visable to the computer. I hope that the power hasn't surged or something and knackered the curcuits in the HDD itself. Not usre if that could cause the problem you're getting. bit of a stab in the dark really.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon