Error 623

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I keep having this error message "Error 623 The System Could Not Find the Phone Book Entry for this Connection", i have been on a few sites and they refer to a VPN connection.

The message is happens when i run portable FF of my USB pen...

Any ideas? btw: i have no VPN connection, although have not tried this at home, so far i have tried this at work + college where we are behind a Proxy...

[​IMG]

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have you entered the proxy settings into the Portable FF's conection properties?

Have never used (or even heard of Portable FF until tonight), so can't really offer much help. :(

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

One other thing that may need setting is the proxy port. They do use port 80 but I know ours is a different port

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Mr.Cheeks

@ work the proxy is correct, my internet works fine...
    @ college - we dont have a proxy, but we have web-site filtering, i say we dont have a proxy cuz i check auto-detect network settings, and the Error 623 still happens.
    @ home - everything works ok, no error
    @ SGUK see thread

Cheers...

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - web-filtering implies a proxy somewhere!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Mr.Cheeks

so how come i just click on autodetect settings? and enter nothing else?

7. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

although i disagree with harry that web filtering implies a proxy (in my book they are not the same thing), enabling the autodetect option means just what it says it does: your browser can autodetect a proxy server on the network if the administrator has configured it so. all proxy info (proxy server, port, exceptions, etc.) are stored in a wpad.dat file, of which the location is announced via dns or dhcp. [edit] so it's a config that has to specifically be configured on the network. just enabling the autodetect option does not give the browser any special capabilities to find a proxy server on its own.

8. Mr.Cheeks

hmm, makes sense now, so at work, it doesn't detect, i have to input the settings myself... so any ideas on the original error mesgagge?

9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yea our proxy setting are issued via group olicy not "auto detect" so the 2 are different. You need to find out in all cases how the proxy setting are issued and in the case of a local machine (that's one not logged into the network) if the proxy settings are manually inputed.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

tcm, have you looked at this and/or this?

11. Mr.Cheeks

i'll see what happens at work on MOnday... cheers d!

12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<grin>

If you connect to a remote IP on port 80 then you aren't filtered or proxied. If, when you attempt it *something* gets in the way then you are both filtered and proxied. You may not know about it - some ISPs are good at hiding it. But it is there. And there is no guarantee that your system will discover it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

i'm not sure what part of my post you are responding to, nor do i understand the relevance of the isp or any other interfering hop on the route to the web server, at least not in light of the problem stated in this thread.
    i'm probably splitting hairs, but all i'm saying is that in a corporate network you can have a web filter or you can have a proxy server, or you can have both, either integrated or not, but that imho they are not the same thing, and that a web filter usually does not require any special configuration of the browser.

14. Mr.Cheeks

cant access registry... dont matter, i'll just have to live with it.