Problem Epson DX8400 Copying/Scanning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adam9, Jan 24, 2015.

1. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Hello, I hope you are well.

My Epson DX8400 works fine as a printer, but as a scanner and a photocopier there is a big issue.

With even just a blank paper, as a copier it will print a 3cm thick black bar/vertical line down the page & as a scanner it will scan an image with a 3cm thick black bar/vertical line down the page also.

With paper with an image or text, the same line appears and the image or text is extremely faded.

The printer is perfectly fine as a printer which leads me to believe the issue is not with the printing heads but with the imaging component of the printer for photocopying and scanning.

There is no visible damage or obstruction that I can see anywhere.

Can anybody advise if they have seen this issue before and if it can be fixed easily?
    Or has that component just pretty much broke over time?

Thanks & regards.

Adam

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

On the lid that is put down when you scan\copy check to see that there is no dirt\anything that is causing the scanner to calibrate incorrectly. Also clean the glass.

If no joy then if you can try and get the plastic surround off the glass so you can inspect and clean the glass. The chances are something is getting in the way when the scanner calibrates before scanning this is why you are getting the line.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Thanks for your advice. I'll clean both the glass and lid. I'll use basic lightly soaped water unless you recommend something else like windowlene?

I looked at removing the glass to closer inspect the inside of the printer but there seems to be no way for a lay person like me to do that unfortunately.

I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers.

4. Sparky

Ok mate - let me know how you get on. Got a few printer support contracts at work so no stranger to taking a printer to bits to fix something :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Hi Sparky, I gave the printer a decent clean but the same problem occurs. I've trawled through various forums for a similar issue and it may be a component like the lamp has perhaps died. People asked about getting it repaired/replaced but it doesn't seem worth the money.

However in my case if the lamp is dead then surely no image would be captured at all? In my case everything is completely faded and there is that thick bar down the whole page so maybe the lamp is damaged or just knackered. Or it could be something lese entirely!

Anyways let me know if anything else comes to mind, cheers!

6. Sparky

Would be good to know what parts you could get but I could only find a preview of the service manual.

http://www.sdott.com/product.php?productid=18236

The ‘scanner mechanism’ would help us out.

Think you might be looking at a new scanner as the most cost effective option.

7. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

I agree, given how cheap decent printer/scanners are these days, around £60, and that they come with ink as well which is usually like £30 to £40, I may buy a new unit which has better features like Wi-Fi. I have a scanner app on my phone which I can use in the mean time.

Thanks for the link, images show that it's not too complex to take off the scanner unit cover if need be. Am I reading some of the names of those components correctly? "Retard Roller", "Paper Support Assy", Stacker Assy"!? Imagine explaining to a client what the tech support issue is. "Well sir, you have a faulty retard roller" or "Madam, I need to inspect your Stacker Assy".