Epic Fail - Part 2

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by kevicho, Nov 29, 2008.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well if Phoenix can post this, then I suppose I should be brave enough to post about my disastrous 70-294 exam, the score was in the 590s (44 questions) and I was shocked to see it on screen, I consider myself to a certain extent to be proficient in AD and to be honest most of the answers I put where was I thought to be common sense answers but quite clearly MS dont agree lol.

Anyoo's had a disastrous week to say the least, Jobs wise, sleep wise, life wise, so I suppose I was not as focused on this exam but I thought going into this that id done enough to pass, and while doing the exam.

On group policy (which had a few questions) I got full marks, bar all the way across, which I am usually one little space away from 100s on numerous occasions, but the other sections were all around mid way.

Im having this weekend off, but in good news I have an interview next friday, so that looks promising as well, a few weeks revision, so need to switch off for a few days, then kick my butt back into gear tuesday onwards.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate.

Have a beer, regroup, and then go for it.8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Bad news Keviicho.

I Know from the advice you have posted on CF that you know your stuff, wether you were nervous or under prepared for the exam I don't know. But what I do know is that you can pass this exam, from what I have read of your posts etc you should be able to pass. Take it easy and go over the exams one by one and revisit anyones that you are finding hard etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

That's really tough m8 but I know you'll bounce back.

Keep focused and keep positive ! (and good luck for the interview)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Oh well, shrug it off and prepare for it again :) Just goes to show that everyone fails an exam once in a while, I failed the 70-296 (which encompasses the 70-293 & the 70-294, I believe) first time round. But that fail helped me indentify where I was weak and after more studying passed next time round :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We usually see what we're really made of when adversity or failure hits. Those who are weak will crumble... those who are strong will persevere and actually grow stronger from the experience. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and give it another go.

Think of it this way... you're better prepared now, no matter what. Remember the questions that you had problems with on the exam - the concepts where you were sorta fuzzy - and get everything logically straight in your head... then try again. :)

And yes, I've failed exams before as well - two, in fact. The first one was like getting the first scratch on a shiny new car... but in truth, I really WASN'T ready, and had I passed, I don't think I would have deserved it. I'm glad to have been shown my weaknesses so I could correct them. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. oliness

oliness Bit Poster

Sorry mate. I remember when I took this, thought I'd done really well and just passed. Keep going, we all fail a few. Practice more and get back in there!

Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well back on the books yesterday, am starting from the beginning of the book again, going through in my mind what went wrong is tricky as i thought id done ok, maybe I just need to get the whole MS way down in my brain, as opposed to answers which I thought was the better way to do lots of things, and a few scenarios id never come accross, however I am confident i did well on all the labs, so guess its book time.

Im going to have another read of the MSpress book and I may get my hands on the sybex version or a general AD admins guide to see where im going wrong.

Also I have my vmware lab ready to go, all fully routed, 3 subnets, 3 DCs, an XP client to be added for the group policy section.

Its great having loads of 90 day MS trial software.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal