Entry-level

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by lealaw, Dec 5, 2008.

1. lealaw

lealaw New Member

Hi Guys

I’m currently self studying towards my A+ then hopefully the N+ to help get myself on the IT ladder somewhere. I have been looking for entry-level jobs but they seem to all be first line/helpdesk support roles and really don’t want to be on the phone all day to un happy customers. What other entry-level jobs could I do where I’m not doing this? Something more hands on would be great?

Thanks lea :)

WIP: A+ then N+
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

This is pretty much the route most people will take to get into IT, one thing I would say is that I.T. is VERY customer oriented, and you will be dealing with people who 90% of the time have issues, you will get thanks, but it is something to get used to.

Your could look for a "Desktop Support" type role, which will be less phone work, more onsite.

If you dont want to be on the phone to strangers, then I wouldnt recommend working on phone lines for ISPs, major high street stores and such like, as none of them will help your career, they may improve some skills, such as diagnostics, but you will improve faster in a more desktop support site, and you will work with a set of people who you can anticipate.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

How about looking for (trainee/junior/entry level) workshop posts?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi,

I.T Support tends to broken in to two basic 'entry level' strands either:

(1) Remote: Helpdesk / Servicedesk Analyst
    1st Line / 2nd Line Support

or

(2) Onsite: PC Engineer/Support/Technician
    IT Engineer/Support/Technician
    Desktop Engineer/Support/Technician
    Field (Service) Engineer (Peripatric worker travelling from site to site)
    Break-Fix Engineer
    Deopt Technician (Usually for a large computer manfacturer)

Dont let all the fancy buzzwords confuse you as they tend to have similar job duties / responsibilities.

Only when you are a few months into your first I.T job, you will see what path to go down...

Desktop Support -> Server admin -> Network Admin is a a common transition.

FatP 8)

5. lealaw

lealaw New Member

Thanks so much for the quick reply guys, I can now start narrowing my search down to these kinds of jobs. :D

WIP: A+ then N+
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Worth chatting to any local independent computer shops in your area too - see if they have any vacancies (even just Saturday work) or would let you "shadow" someone to help get experience.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

8. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Why do you not recommend working for an ISP? I would think they'd have good career development opportunities since you could end up working with their many servers and routers. Have you worked for one or know someone who has?

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  9. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I think he means that you shouldn't work with an ISP if you don't want to talk to strangers ;)

Write to a few local IT companies that offer computer repair services or similar. I used the yellow pages (or yello.com) and the internet to find a couple of local businesses. I sent them a CV and covering letter stating I was looking for work- even if it was volunatary. I had a few phone calls through, and one guy who actually took me out on a onsite visit!

Apart from that, 1st line helpdesk will likely be the only way.