Entry level job offer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by runiu, Mar 3, 2007.

1. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Hi!

I've received a job offer for junior/entry level position...what do you think about it???

Please find below the key responsibilities for the position

• To ensure that business critical task checklists are followed and that all scheduled tasks completed correctly in a timely and efficient manner.
    • Provide hands on diagnostics support and first level troubleshooting of "...." Services, Networks and Systems.
    • Provide ad-hoc monitoring assistance and carry out additional service verification checks to Operators where appropriate.
    • Carry out proper referral or escalation of any issue identified.
    • Utilise "....." in-house Incident tracking tools (Peregrine) to handle all issues and/or ad-hoc requests for system intervention.
    • Utilise "....." systems user guides and work instructions to carry out tasks and where appropriate identify and report deficiencies ensuring that any corrective actions are taken to update procedures.
    • Produce routine daily logs, exception reports, network statistics reports where applicable.
    • Carry out system maintenance where physical interaction is required, in accordance with routine schedules or change control procedures.
    • Liaise with a number of "......" Support groups to resolve/answer service issues or queries in a timely manner.
    • Handling of "......." tape libraries and coordination of the offsite storage of media.
    • Understand and adhere to "......" established incident/problem/change management procedures.

"...." is the name of the company...:)

Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCTS: Vista
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

sounds good! if you can do most of it, go for it!

3. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

They provide full training for this position but can you tell me in brief summary what I will be doing there ?

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

you should be doing what it says in your first post in this thread...

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thats a strange name for a company! :biggrin

Go for it. Sounds like a good first job to me. 8)

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

As Mr Cheeks said, that is what you'll be doing, also they may put into the contract about doing other tasks as they deem necessary.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

In a nutshell:
    1. To do and complete jobs within an acceptable time frame
    2. To actually be hands on and trouble shoot any problems that fall within your job role (1st line support)
    3. To assist the IT admins (2nd & 3rd line support) when neccessary.
    4. If you can't do the job/resolve the problem either pass it on to level 2 support (your system admins) or the external company (eg if the item that is faulty is still in warrenty, etc)
    5. Use system management tools to assist you with the jobs.
    6. Use the company's user and IT guide and to update them to reflect changes in technology/work (eg if there a guide for Outlook 2k and now the company is using Outlook 2k7 - update the user guide, etc)
    7. Sounds like using the helpdesk system, as helpdesk system produce alot of reports (but don't quote me)
    8. Changing hardware, etc, eg floppy disc, HDD, network cable, etc
    9. Communicate with other support groups to
    a. to answer queries
    b. fix problems
    c. log calls
    In other words, manning the helpdesk
    10. Looking after the tape/system backups, ensuring that proper procedures are done, including the offsite storage of them (general and best pratice)
    11. Make sure that you actually follow comapny procedures for doing your job.

In other words you'll be doing a heldpesk role and what else they ask (check the contract when it comes, there is normally in the small print something along the lines of " and any other job deemed neccessary for the role")

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Uh... isn't that something you should be asking the company who offered you the position? :blink :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Thank you wagnerk !!!
    Now it looks better...:)

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No worries :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security