Entry level IT jobs while working towards certs

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by Frappuccino, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Frappuccino

Frappuccino New Member

Hello all.
    I am new to these forums but have always had an interest in breaking into the world of IT.
    I began studying for my A+ a few months ago but ran into some personal trouble and had to stop, now I am beginning to pick it up again thanks to Mr. Meyers book(s) and Professor Messer's wonderful YouTube videos.

Currently I am working as a contractor for an automotive manufacturer, but I would much rather prefer to begin gaining entry level experience while I study for my certs.
    I've been recommended to check out jobs at Best Buy and Staples... however I am sure there is more than that available.

Do you guys have any advice on what specific job positions I should be on the look out for that will give me experience, or at least help me break into the IT world while I continue my studies?

Thank you. :biggrin

WIP: A+
  2. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I imagine any first line support gig would be suitable since it is mostly scripted work over the phone. Saying that, my first role was as a field support engineer with basic A+ type knowledge (I got certified while I was working, so it is possible) and a drivers licence, doing hardware fixes on desktops, laptops and printers. Good on you for looking for an IT job while doing your A+. Employers like if you are actually interested and willing to spend your own time (and money) to improve your technical skills. I say get your CV / resume on as many job sites as possible and see what comes your way.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

I got my first IT role with no experience and no certs, 1st and 2nd line support for a travel company BUT my mother worked there and I already knew the company fairly well. Apply for anything 1st line, if you manage to get your enthusiasm across you should be able to get your foot in the door somewhere with some decent legwork.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10