Employers using social networks to check recruitees

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Employers using social networks to check recruitees

Over 30 per cent of human resources departments and business managers admit to searching for potential and current employeesÂ’ social networking profiles for information about their background and behaviour - and 24 per cent of those say that they have been put off by something they have found.

The study of 961 HR people and business managers, commissioned by people search website Yasni.co.uk reveals that they used sites like Facebook and MySpace as part of the recruitment processes, looking for any pictures, comments, or status updates that may inform extra insight into job applicants.

Read the whole article here. This is to follow on from threads like this and this.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. BosonJosh
      BosonJosh
      I'm surprised that only 30 percent of HR and business managers admit to this. I typically do a search when we're planning on interviewing a candidate. Hiring an employee is one of the most important things a company can do, and I like to know as much as I can about a candidate before making a decision.
    2. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      I do this as well. And yes, what I find DOES modify or solidify my impressions about a candidate.
    3. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Moral of the story is, if you have anything online that could potentially be a show stopper for a potential employer, pull it offline. Glad I didn't start building these things until after I got my current job. Who knows what they'd have thought of me otherwise. :rolleyes:
    4. Mathematix
      Mathematix
      I'm linked to a boss or two on such sites, as well as potential future ones. :)
    5. drum_dude
      drum_dude
      Yesterday, one of the girls that works on the service desk got sacked because of her stupidity! On Thursday she phoned in ill but also posted on her Facebook status "Thrown a sickie so I can play in the snow". It was reported to management and she was given the bullet!

Another collegue of mine took 12 weeks off sick last year. During this period he went on holiday to Turkey and when he came back to work he was shocked at being told that his wage was being docked and he was to receive a written warning? Why? The fricken idiot posted up his holiday pictures on his Facebook profile WITH date stamps!!! It was discovered and reported to HR. Why they didn't sack him I'll never know!

I ditched using MySpace and Facebook 2 years ago. Social Networking is very dangerous if you ask me and I don't understand why people feel the need to willingly surrender their privacy? These people must be left with sod all to talk about when the meet up in real life with their 'friends'.

Familiarity breeds contempt!
    6. dalsoth
      dalsoth
      Depends what you actually put on there and what restrictions you set for those allowed to view.
    7. drum_dude
      drum_dude
      Quite true...pity the vast majority do not follow those simple rules.
    8. Crito
      Crito
      It's important candidates do the same sorts of checks on potential employers too. Like the saying goes, "You'll be known by the company you keep." I've encountered people so childish they hold a grudge for something as simple as removing yourself from consideration for a job. You don't even have to get hired or quit! So do yourself a favor and use the interview process to judge the characters of the people you'll be working with too. One schmuck with a Napoleon complex can ruin your career.
    9. Crito
      Crito
      And hey, check out my new ride! The secret of my success? Staying away from nasty people! ;)

[​IMG]
    10. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Because I don't have anything that's worth hiding. :) I consider it less "surrendering privacy" and more "being transparent". What you see with me is what you get. I am what I am.

Plus... I tend to not do stupid stuff like the things you described! :p