Employer wants me to certify. What should I take?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Eilidhbob27, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Eilidhbob27

Eilidhbob27 Bit Poster

Hi All,

I regularly read the forums but this is my first post.

My employer says he can see good potential in me and he is providing me with a training grant as he wants me to certify.

My end goal is MCSA Windows 7

My Two options for certifying are Comptia A+ and N+ or MTA Windows Server Administration Fundamentals, Network Fundamentals and Security Fundamentals.

Which of the Two routes would people recommend?

Many Thanks
    EilidhBob

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I think this is a good thing you have already seen the routes.

If you use a lot of Windows, I would probably go the MTA route. The MCSA Win 7 (680 + 685) uses a little bit of Server 2008 R2 also, so would stand you in good stead.

3. Eilidhbob27

Eilidhbob27 Bit Poster

Thanks for the response.

Would that not pigeon hole me to Microsoft for later in my career?

Are there any study guides for the MTA? I can't seem to find any online?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Not at all, I started out my career being Novell Netware certified, moved to Microsoft and now VMware, just because you have certifications from one vendor doesn't mean it pigeon holes your career later down the road.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Eilidhbob27

Eilidhbob27 Bit Poster

Thanks. I think I will go down the MTA route then as I don't have very.much server experience.

From what I gather, there isn't much pre reading for it? Or at least I can't seem to find any.