Email sizes

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Jul 15, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I am starting to get bored of Hotmail and their 2MB email limit:x . yesterday Lou wanted me to email her the Littlest Hobo so she and her workmates can listen to it...I know how sad!! Anyway, it wouldnt go thru because the size of it was about 2.34MB so the flamin thing didnt send. have just rang my ADSL ISP to find out what their email limit is and its 10MB which makes me more :D as Hotmail want to charge me £19.99 just to upgrade to that amount...no thank you. by the way you should hear the woman's voice when you ring up my ISP....she has a voice to die for...imagine the bedroom antics...:twisted: ...oh I've done it again...that's it I'm in for the chop if Lou reads this:oops:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've been looking at the company called 1 & 1 recently.
    Does anybody ahve any experience with them, or just know if they're any good.
    They seem impressive from what I've read.

Noelg24 they have a good package, mroe info here: http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/...1B92ED643DA3E35329DB39FAFA.TC33a?__frame=_top

What I'm after is a personalised email address, ie not with tiscali on the end.

3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I look of that one Flex thanks.. I'll check it out more later.

4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hey Noelg, I'm not sure if you are aware, but Microsoft is the process of upgrading all free hotmail accounts so that everyopne has 250MB of space, and the ability to send and recieve attachments of up to 10 MB. Here's the link

http://www.imagine-msn.com/hotmail/en-uk/

Not to shaby for a free service if ya ask me.

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Flex, if you want your own name at the end of your email address then you need your own domain. The link you gave looks good, register and activate your domain (pay too) and configure it all. You should be able to do this over the net in a couple of hours.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well bend me over and slap me silly :eek: they certainly kept that one quiet!:x well if you ask me I suggest they get a move on cos muggins will be emailing a lot of huge stuff in future. I think I will look into it more. thanks mate.

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yeah I'll probably do that nugget.
    Looks more professional when sending off CV's I've heard.

Just have to think of a good name. :dry

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think so too seeing as flex.com .net and .co.uk are all taken.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

What does that mean?

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Email forwarding simply means having a message addressed to your POP account forwarded to an existing Email address of your choice. If you set up forwarding, any mail sent to your POP account will automatically be forwarded to your Email box on your ISP or office network - or wherever you specify it to go.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You could always look at Google's Gmail, if you can put up with a 1 Gb mailbox [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Dont you need an invite for Gmail? Is it now open to registrations?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

No they didn't. [​IMG]

I knew about it a month ago. [​IMG]

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

Whatever you do, do not sign up with 1&1, especially if you are thinking of having your own domain.

They make it very difficult to change at a later date should you not be happy with the service.

There customer support is crap, 90% time it is speaking to people who are unable to speak clear English.

Also depsite there nice advert saying there are no hidden charges they appear when you actually come to pay all of sudden the VAT appears, admitedly it wont be much on this offer but I would imagine it will be 69 per month + vat = £1 (roughly)

I speak from personal experience using 1&1 for hosting previously. If you want anymore complaints I could go on.

Don't rush into anything research it properly. Some places charge fees to get out of there contracts also.

Look for some alternatives.

15. adam_wood1234

adam_wood1234 Bit Poster

Yahoo Mail aint bad. 100Mb Mail Box, 10Mb attachments and its free.
    Fair enough you can't really personalise your address but its handy for keeping and sending small files and programs

WIP: A+ & Network +
  16. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that advice r4merlin.

From the advert it looked good, but I definitely knew to ask people with actual experience of the product before doing anything.

And it saves me reading the ugly small print :rolleyes: