email server

Discussion in 'Networks' started by AJ, Oct 6, 2005.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Been thinkning about this for a while. I would like to set up a mail server, either exchange or another, at home. Now my ISP is ntl and they do not supply static IP addresses. Can I do this??

I do own a domain name and at the moment all of my mail is forwarded from then to my ntl account.

Have you guys got any advice out there or is this just a damp squib

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just a thought but won't NTL hammer you on the Upload as well as down?
    If you plan to use it for the whole family plus any other interests you have it might see some action!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

If it were just for your own domain, with relatively trusted contacts, then I don't think the bandwidth would be an issue. More importantly, the static IP is pretty much a must for 24/7 uptime.

I will look into this a little further for you m8. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. AJ

er I think the d/l cap is something like 10 gb a month and I barely use 1 a month. But I take your point mate.

edit: just re-read that Boyce and that not what you asked. I have a 2 mb line and I think that's 256 up. But isn't that the same d/l emails anyway is they arn't web based?

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

AJ,

I think if you wanted to set-up a home based web server then go for it.
    Let us know when you do so i can learn from you!

Does your router have a DMZ?

That is strange about the Dynamic IP, i thought most ISP's are giving static's out now?

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You'll never touch that level of traffic for your needs, AJ, and TBH - up/download speeds are irrelevant in this case, IMHO :)

More importantly, you'll need some damn good anti-spam s/w running here - like Avast. Used it in the past, works a treat.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. bekaheni

bekaheni New Member

What you are asking AJ is fairly straight forward and can be done.

I myself do the same, and of know of several work mates who do the same.

A dynamic IP is no barrier, I over come this by :-
    1] I update my own A and MX records manualy
    or
    2] Use a Dynamic DNS updater built into your router
    or
    3] Use a small program that will sit on your server, that will detect when your router has obtained a new IP an dthen update the DNS records for you.

I have a dynamic IP with BT which untill about a month ago would give me a diff IP every time I rebooted the router. But BT must have changed something recently (like the IP lease time maybe) as I now get the same IP every time I reboot :D

You will need also a good ROUTER that you can open up the appropriate ports, especialy for your exchange server(or what ever you use)

On the subject of mail server I also use a backup mail queue service that I pay my DNS name server folk a tenner a year for. This is where if my server goes down when I am on hols (say a fortnight) my mail is not bounced back to sender as un deliverable but queued for when I get back to fix whatever went wrong during hols or whatever!!

I am sure I have missed tons of info out, but please go ahead and set it up, it gives you hours of fun and frsutration!!! esecialy when it goes wrong :D

Regards
    Nick

PS I use SBS 2003

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, buddypro. Welcome. If you have a moment, pop up to the New Members Introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself and how you found us. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Buddypro,

Thanks for that helpful info.
    Why not pop along to the member intro and tell us a bit about yourself.
    Glad to have you on board. :thumbleft

Edit
    Sorry for the repeat there!
    Trip, you always beat me to it! Then again you can type like lightening!

10. bekaheni

bekaheni New Member

AJ,

Forgot to say, make sure you dont accidently configure your mail server to be an open relay (I learnt the hard way by tweaking here and there :( )

The liitle program I was talking about in point 3 for updating your A and MX records is usualy specified by your DNS provider.

I use Microtech DNS in Guernsey (http://www.mtgsy.net), so on thier website they recomend certain programs that work well with them.

Regards
    Nick

11. AJ

THanks for your reply Nick. My router has the option to use a DynamicDNS service (dyndns.org) and it needs a user name ans p/w. The router also has the option of a DMZ. Is that a good idea?

12. bekaheni

bekaheni New Member

Hi AJ,

Dont use DMZ, basiacly that allows ALL traffic to your server.

Your server must have a fixed IP, so that you can redirect the web traffic to your server. Eg if your server is 192.168.0.50 then you will port forward trafic on port 80 to 192.168.0.50 for your website.Also the correct ports to your mail system (is it exchange?)

Sounds like your using a netgear router as you mentioned DYNDNS, there pretty good, used them for a bit till I got my own domain.

Have you your own domain?

Regards
    Nick

13. AJ

mail server not decided yet, but it could be exchange.

I own jolley.org.uk which is not hosted anywhere. I just use it to point to my free ntl web space and to forward emails to my ntl accounts

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I use SBS 2003 too, with Exchange and with a very dynamic IP address. I get round that by using the Pop3 connector that is built into SBS's version of Exchange. Basically the connector retrieves emails at set intervals from all my various Pop3 accounts including my ISPs. I know this isn't the *right* way of doing things but it works more reliably than dynamic DNS services I have used in the past.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I may not be much help, as I have 8 static IPs, one dedicated to OWA and one dedicated to my MX
    however I do a mixture of what bluerinse says and 'the right' way

one of my domains is pretty much hosted by me, I use a split DNS configuration to use it both internal and externally, all the A records and MX records point to my static IP range

however my old domain name is hosted elsewhere, and is my primary mail address (at present, this is changing)

so whilst mail is delivered via SMTP for domainA.org, I use the pop3 connector in GFI Mail Essentials to connect to domainB.co.uk and download my mails every 10 minutes to my mail box, which I can then access via OWA through an ISA server

Its a nice set up, and really works, I understand it may well be a pain doing it the 'proper' way with a dynamic IP, but buddy seems to of got it sorted! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  16. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys

Reading this thread with interest as i would like the same setup at home

Currently have my main wireless router in the house connected to my desktop pc and serving the various laptops in the house

in the garage i would like to setup wirelessly another router with a server connected for email and possible file storage access

i have a linksys wireless router that i have loaded a modified firmware onto with the hope of using it as a bridge and although it picks up an ip from my main router i still cant get access to the web using it

any ideas

this is only thing holding me back from setting this up
    as i already have a domain name that i can use

cheers
    mick

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mick, is your *main* router also a Linksys? Can you ping the laptops etc in the house from the garage using IP addresses? I know that bridging won't always work unless both wireless devices are the same model and manufacturer. I found this out using D-Link stuff but from what I read at the time, results are likely to be haphazard mixing any models/makes.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

the main router is a belkin model

I cant ping the machines in the house from the garage machine so i think some more playing about with the setup is called for

thanks for the reply i will let you know if i get it working

cheers
    Mick

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100