Email - one unread

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

When my colleague came to me a couple of weeks ago with this one I thought - yup, seen that one before.

Confidently went up to her and viewed unread emails....nothing there.

Marked all as read, inbox was then displaying fine, and we ruled it down to being a random error...

However it's just happened again today.

Apparently the same sender has attempted to send an email to my colleague both times this has happened.

Tried opening my colleague's mailbox via my own outlook and it is the same - still shows Inbox (1 unread) and there's nothing in subfolders etc

Any ideas? :blink

When you look at message tracker, it shows that the email that my colleague thinks the inbox is referring to was successfully delivered to her...

Thought it could be a time/date thing, but mail server is fine. Not sure about sender - will check with my colleague if sender can successfully send the "corrupt" one to anyone else or not...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I cant quite remember but when I used to support outlook there was a filter option tucked away somewhere which sometimes caused panic such as this. Im not sure it was called a filter but it basically hid emails based on certain criteria. sorry I cant be of more help.

Looking at your post again it would make sense as it might be filtered by senders email addy or something

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you. You are quite right. It's View/current view/unread messages in this folder and there are some others to choose from...(edit) she doesn't have any rules set up either

I tried this initially though, and no joy. (unless you meant something else?) It was the same when opening the mailbox via my own Outlook though so I guess that indicates that the email itself may be corrupt in some way?

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Just installed a copy of outlook to test it out, the thing I was thinking of was view,arrange by, custom, then check the filter box.

Thats what I was thinking of but it sounds like we might both be looking at the same thing on a diff version of outlook, our version is 2003.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Update:

Apparently MD was cc'd on the email. He can view it fine.

He forwarded it to my colleague and now she has Inbox (2 unread)

So it definitely must be that particular email...and something with her account settings?...

I've just found out that she's logged in as someone else, but is accessing her email through their Outlook (and obviously when I opened her mail it was via my outlook - though I am an admin??)...

...she's going to login as herself to see if that makes any difference then let me know!

6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Leehaa,

Questions:
    1. Which operating system?
    2. Which version of Outlook?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hey, thanks for your efforts!! I am using 2007 so quickly had a look and told you the options I saw in there, which is probably why it's different! :oops:

She is on 2k3 though, but unfortunately yes, I did try that before aswell - sorry and thank you!! :D

8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Leehaa,

When you mention "2k3" do you mean Office/Outlook 2003? Is this installed on Windows XP?

9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

XP Pro joined to a domain and using an exchange account.
    Office/Outlook 2003.

MD is also XP Pro, but I'm not sure of Outlook. Will just check!!...

10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

They are both using Office/Outlook Pro 2003.

11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Leehaa,

Is the "Fast User Switching" feature in Windows XP in use?

12. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

We've gotten to the bottom of it!

The email had sensitivity "private" so, as she was logged in as someone else (even though that login had full permissions on the mail box), Outlook knew it was there but was stopping her from viewing it. I guess that it also restricts admins from viewing the message too - that it will only open if you're logged in as the intended recipient.

Sorry to waste your time, but at least you know the fix for this one!!

13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Leehaa,

A bigger waste of time was an "Unread E-mail" issue I had with a Windows XP Professional computer with Outlook 2003 installed on it. Upon a thorough troubleshooting process, the "1 unread e-mail" turned out to be the standard issue "Welcome" e-mail sitting in the Inbox of...Outlook Express. So I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue. Well done. :)

14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Oh dear - I hope you laughed, rather than hit someone when you found that one out!

Thank you.

15. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Fast user switching is not available when joined to a domain.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  16. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You wouldnt believe how loud I went AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH yes I remember! practically the whole office wondered what was going on! as soon as you said private then it all came back to me. :dunce

How you getting on in your new job anyway?

17. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Heh! I can imagine they may have thought you a little crazy!

New job is good thank you. My manager is so chilled out and down to Earth.
    This is great as it makes me a lot more motivated to do things!

Been learning a lot of new stuff - just started learning a bit of UNIX (yay)....so yup, really enjoying it thanks! :D