Email forwarding using different nameservers?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by delorean, Jun 23, 2009.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hello all! Long time no posting!

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this and the answer is likely that I am SOL but figured it's worth an ask here just in case I may have missed something!

I have a domain registered with 123 Reg and hosting with Godaddy. I already set up my domain name to point to my hosting with Godaddy by changing the nameservers from 123 Reg to the ones used for hosting with Godaddy. That is all fine and dandy as the domain now points to my hosting.

The thing is I want to use email forwarding so I can use my domain name to forward to my gmail. I believe I will be SOL (to coin an acronym!) because 123 Reg requires you to use their nameservers for use of the email forwarding feature.

Would I be correct in assuming I have no way around this issue as if I change the nameservers to 123 Reg ones my domain will no longer point to my hosting so that's a waste of time correct?

Is there any other way around this? Is there an option to configure mail forwarding using my hosting instead?

It's a bit pickley I know, hopefully one of you wonderful folk may be able to provide me with a solution I am sure I am not the first person lumbered with this problem and won't be the last!

Thanks!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you find out from godaddy what the IP address of the webserver(s) that your site is hosted on?

If so just point the www A record in 123 reg to that and then you can configure the mail forwarding as well.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thanks Sparky! Will give that a try. I do believe I can obtain the IP address of my hosting from the Godaddy control panel so will add that to the A record in the 123 Reg panel and see what happens.

Actually as I type this I think I actually have done that already when I was messing with the initial setup for pointing my domain name to Godaddy. I will double check later today.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA