Electricity Bill

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Cheeks, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Question:

When i run 2003 advanced server on my PC, my CPU is maxed at 100% but when i run XP its not alot, but how does this effect my electricity?

Am i right in assuming that if the CPUs maxed out it would "burn" more electric? or would that just apply to the PSU?

Cheers?

Cheeks <a tight little git!>

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think I would be more concerned why my server was max'ing out all the time. Task manager or perfmon.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Mr.Cheeks

the reason behind it is cuz the computer thats running the server is a slow ass piece of shi7!

seriously, though, it bearly meets the min requirements, and then i have all the updates (IE7 seems to have made it more slower), its an AD, DC, running my torrent appz, which will kill the machine even more, and then to put the final nail in the box, i have my music streaming off it, when im at work...

any ideas on the cpu?

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

upgrade it? :blink

It does sound like you have maxed out the PC mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Mr.Cheeks

LOL!

Sparky mate - have you forgotten about the idea i had with WD40? seriously, there is no chance in this world would i pay money for an upgrade on that waste of space! the parts on that were scrapes from other pc's...

Imagine this? where you slide the case onto the *things* and it connects to the front of the pc, there is sticky tape to *secure* the connection... well, i dont need to imagine it, cuz thats what iv done!

actually, it had an upgrade, from 128 -> 256mb of RAM (again, scrapes).

6. Sparky

256MB is barely enough to run XP, I’m surprised you can get everything else to run on it.

Might be worth over clocking it if its just an old PC, if it goes ‘boom’ then at least it went out in style!
    :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You are correct in your assumption that the CPU when maxed out will draw more current than when it is idle. The CPU will also get hotter, this is a good indication that it is using more power (P is measured in Watts).

But fear not, the amount of extra CPU power is negligible when compared to most things consuming electricity, ie heaters, kettles, beer fridges, ovens, air con, swimming pool pumps, spas and sun beds 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Mr.Cheeks

considered, but for me to overclock it then i would need to upgrade the RAM otherwise it would go boom super duper fast... (or so i've been told)

9. Mr.Cheeks

the reason i was thinking this was my room is hotter than normal when i use to have to switched to server, but when it was xp it wasn't bad...

Cheers...

10. Sparky

Yup, you will probably have to upgrade the fan as well to keep the system stability. 8)

11. Mr.Cheeks

i was actually thinking of shoving it in my shed as whenever i go in there it was quite chilling, but i just couldn't convince my bro to do the wiring...

they say i come up with some strange ideas at times, but honestly, i think they are just jealous!

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Maybe the stress and excitement of running a server is sending your body temperature soaring :biggrin

13. Mr.Cheeks

mate - honestly, there has been only one thing that has even made my body soaring, and i mean not outside hot (like when you have a cold and sweat) i mean inside hot!

I would never wish this on noone, but if anyone has had a CT scan, then they will know whats its like, people can describe it, but boy, thats one F*ed up feeling!

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Really, I didn't know that you felt anything :ohmy

15. Mr.Cheeks

cheeky! :biggrin