Electrical Engineer

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by njengal, Dec 27, 2007.

1. njengal

njengal New Member

Hi Guys
    I posted this message yesterday , but i didn't have any reply, probably i didn't make myself clear on the question. what it is i did national diplame in computer engineering and CCNA a few years ago but never work in IT, am working as a electrical engineer-design but i will like to work in IT department or field, i was intending to start MCSE but i am not sure if is the right direction, please advice

(Just join this forum which i wish i knew before that it existed, merry xmas and happy new year everybody. anyway i am stack, at the moment i am an technical designer-electrical, where i very bored using autocad all the time and arguing with Engineers above me, the pay is not good at all.

I have done a CCNA course 1-4 but i didn't pass the industrial exam and i did pass it could have expired anyway. i will like to change my career to network engineer or something in IT can you advice the best root and the best way to go, while i am still working.)

Certifications: Eletrical/Electronics Engineering HND
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Just like you I am new to this field. I only started last year in August my first IT job. What I believe is that it is important that you grasp the basic understanding of what ever field in IT you wish to pursue. With that said I noticed that you are interested in MCSE so am I. However you will have to start with very basic certifications such as A+, Network+ and then later on MCP or MCDST. MCSE is more for network administrators as they have a lot of experience under their belt hence the the name Microsoft Certified System Engineer. It's not intended for someone who just starting out in IT.

With the certifications I mentioned above such as CompTIA A+ and Network+ will give you a solid base where not only will you get the theory but also practice. Books such as A+ All in one by Mike Meyers and PC Technician Street smarts by James Pyles will give you a good practical exercises.

Keep in mind that for the majority of IT professionals start out with jobs such as level 1 help desk. Please don't be discouraged if that is the only IT job you can find at the moment because the experience you get there will benefit you in a long run. You don't have to be doing help desk for years, just have around 1 year of experience so that you have something to offer to other employers when you apply for a job. Other entry level jobs are desktop support which is what I am doing right now. It's basicaly supporting users with issues such as application configuration, installation, troubleshooting, repairing pc's, ghosting pc's, changing toner on printers, fax machines, photocopiers, etc. Basically most entry level IT tasks.

The books that I mentioned can be found here:

A+ All in One by Mike Meyers

and

PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles

Hope this gave you some what of an idea as to where you could start. I am sure other members will post more information to help you out.

All the best and Happy new year.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi njengal

the Prof has already given you some sound advice.

Whilst becoming an electrical engineer takes a lot of knowledge and effort (my other half is a design engineer too) getting into IT is a different (but fun!) ball game.

There is no 'hard and fast' method of getting your foot in the door, but the tried-and-tested recommendation on CF is for people to do the CompTIA A+ and Network+, before trying the MCDST.

The CCNA and MCSE are qualifications that are aimed at people with several years of relevant experience in their respective fields in IT. The basis for comparison with regards to your current field would probably be first starting out in design engineering without relevant qualifications, but expecting to gain IENG accreditation.

The A+ and N+ are seen as good entry-level certifications that will help prospective employers to pick your CV out of the bunch - however, your focus, technical skills and so forth gained as an engineer will no doubt prove to be invaluable.

Have a search on the forums, and you should be able to find a lot of good information about starting out your career in IT - there are some good articles as well as threads in the CompTIA forums.

However, I have just read your comments on one of your reasons for leaving being the wage isn't very good. I don't know what kind of wage you are expecting from your first entry-level role in IT, but I wouldn't expect it to range much further above 14K-16K (and maybe less if you're on a corporate helpdesk). I can sympathise with your being irritated about wrangling with other engineers, but service based roles require a lot of client-orientated satisfaction (no entendre intended!) and you may have to deal with a lot of irate people as part of your day-to-day job - after all, people often only call IT when everything's gone up the swanny and they need their emails/files *yesterday*.

However, take a gander around the forums, and I hope you find some useful info :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. njengal

njengal New Member

Thank guys for your time, just to make it clear i am already MIET and working as Design Engineer, it only that i wanted a change in career. but i appreciate alot and i will definaterly going to take your advice and start maybe A+ soon.
    thanks guys again and have a happy new year.

Certifications: Eletrical/Electronics Engineering HND