edX certificates on the CV, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

first of I don't plan on purchasing a edX cert, I am currently doing a course on there and they wand 99 USD to obtain a cert from them, their reasons are to keep courses free by raising money from selling their certs, which I think is fair enough however the price is too high, they would probs do better to lower the price to around 30 USD which is more reasonable. Anyway has anyone actually purchased a course completion cert from them, and if so do you list it on your cv?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its free to audit most courses so you can just do that if you don't want to pay.

I have taken 11 edx courses and about 20 coursera courses, I took most as audit, I only purchased a couple of certificates.

I have them on my linked in, but no I don't tend to list them on my CV, unless I think it might help.

Kitkatninja likes this.
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not heard of them to be honest. Would put more time into MS\CompTIA exams if you are just starting out in IT certification.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

5. Sparky

Remember the OP is motivated by wonga. Arguably, certs will give you more chance of getting that wonga.

Anyone investing time in trying to improve themselves in their career (either certs, university, college, self study etc.) is always a good thing.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Places like google don't even mandate degrees nowadays, learn the subject well, write a good CV, apply for the job, do well in the interview, simples.

There is no causation between certification and salary, never has been.

7. Sparky

8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  9. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Same here :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security