eclasses.org online training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by geofftaylor, Sep 6, 2006.

1. geofftaylor

geofftaylor Bit Poster

Hi

Just starting Introduction to Dreamweaver online tutored course with eclasses.org. Course opened yesterday, but I haven't had time to do much.
    - 4 weeks long (so people using time-limited demo can complete tasks)
    - $80.00 (if you get year's membership, which I have)
    - "Classroom environment based on Web Crossing technology, a threaded messaging system (message board)"
    - Can lead to certification, not CIW but supported by the International Webmaster's Association and HTML Writers Guild at http://www.hwg.org/

I'll try to let people know how it is.

Certifications: BA Fine Arts, Dip TEFLA, MEd
    WIP: considering CIW
  2. geofftaylor

geofftaylor Bit Poster

Hi

I've completed 2 weeks of the 4 week Introduction to Dreamweaver course at eclasses.org.

I'm enjoying it.

You work following an online tutor's syllabus. We had to buy a standard Dreamweaver tutorial book (got mine cheapish through Amazon) and each week there are chapters to read, and you're supposed to do the hands-on exercises in the book.

This part of the course is not monitored, but it's linked to the weekly assignment, and so far I and I think most people have kept up with the reading. The tutor included a Flash tutorial she had made, which was very helpful, but otherwise, so far, it seems we're mainly expected to learn from the reading assignments.

Then there's the week's practical assignment, which is to post to a webhost a webpage which you have created that practises the skills of the week, linked to the reading assignments. You either pass or not. If you don't get a pass, you can get help and re-submit.

There's a web bulletin board Q&A forum where people can get help and make suggestions, both with the teacher and other students. It seems to work really well. There's another forum where you post the link to your completed assignment of the week. The teacher checks it and either gives you a pass or asks to correct it and re-submit. The good thing is that other people can also view your submissions and if there are problems make suggestions to help the person achieve a pass.

The general syllabus is published in advance, showing what's to be covered each week, but specific textbook chapter references and project descriptions for each week are not put up before the start of the week. (Maybe to stop keen types rushing through everything in the first week or two, and/or to stop newbies getting overwhelmed.)

It's supposed to be 5 hours/week. I'm finding it a bit more than that, but doing a single course seems to be very manageable even with a full-time job and family.

So, it's like guided time-pressured self-study (great for me as otherwise I always manage to find displacement activities!), with online support from an expert teacher and a whole group of fellow students. And cheap - $80.00. So far, I'm learning a lot, and getting a lot out of it.

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well Done Geoff!

It's always good to get feed back on how these course go.

What version of Dreamweaver are you using?

I learn't on the MX2004 but now there's a new version out!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. geofftaylor

geofftaylor Bit Poster

Yes, I'm still on MX2004. I would have upgraded to Studio 8 but I don't have the money at the moment (paid to train for the ECDL, cancelled the course, but haven't yet had any money refunded). I guess the general principles don't change, so it's not yet such a big deal. Of course, I'll try to get hold of the latest version soon.

Best wishes

Geoff

5. eClassesStaff

eClassesStaff New Member

We realize this is a dated forum post, however we are pleased that you enjoyed your learning experience with eClasses.org
    Regards,
    eClasses Staff