ECDL OR NOT?

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by IT_Guy, Sep 21, 2008.

1. IT_Guy

IT_Guy New Member

Hey All,

I have a degree and graduated this year and looking for employment - I never really got the chance/came across ECDL till recently and been thinking if I need it/take the exam(s)?? Is it worth it?

Is a degree sufficient enough to prove already that you can do stuff that the ECDL teaches? Note - I have a Business and IT Degree and not much work experience/no certs - just degree up to now

Any help/response would be appreciated

Certifications: BA (Hons) Degree & C&G Diploma Level 2&3
    WIP: Maybe A+, N+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The ECDL is more of a power user cert, rather than a technical/professional cert. It may/may not be useful to you in how to use, say, office applications, etc... It may go thru things that wasn't covered by your degree. For example my degree in Computing, didn't go over using office apps, it went over software engineering, systems design, AI, etc.

It's down to you, do you think that the ECDL will be valuable to you?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. IT_Guy

IT_Guy New Member

Well my degree did involve in using a lot of the applications on a regular basis. Is it worth doing? Do employers look for it - even though someone like me may have a degree - will they take that into consideration?

4. Kitkatninja

Some will, some won't. If you're going into the IT Support field, than I would recommend starting off with the A+ and then work from there.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

IMO its not worth your case to do the ECDL - i have done it at pre-GCSE level and passed all my modules first time round - its very basic and for a person with a degree very worthless. Like mentioned its for power-users and can be used by people to show they are IT competent as well as with the MS Office package so i would start by looking at Comptia's A+ as well 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. IT_Guy

IT_Guy New Member

Thanks all for your replies!

When is best time to start studying for A+/N+? I will be getting C&G Diploma as IT Professional Levels 2&3 and then seek to get my first IT job in IT Support. Should I build up some experience say for a year and then have a go at A+? Any advice would be helpful

7. Kitkatninja

If you get a chance start your A+ studies now, the A+ is a NQF level 2 award aimed at level 1/Tier 1 support (and higher Tiers) to build upon.

-Ken