ECDL....is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi All,

OK, after being made redundant in November, I signed up to some free courses at my local Uni. One of them was European Computer Driving License.

Now this has caused a few issues at home lol. I'm looking to do the course as its a Monday and Tuesday evening, 3 hours a night (6:30pm till 9:30pm). I have been working with computers and the like for the last 15 years or so, so I am pretty much Ok with them.

My Fiancee feels the ECDL qualification isn't worth it and I should look for a full time job. I however, would like to gain the qualification. Now my question to you is, A: is it worth it, B: does it have any relevance, and C: can the exam be done as a self study?

Many thanks for your help,

Regards,

Ron

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda job are you looking for mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Jaron78

At the moment, looking at two options.
    I am looking to gain MCDST certification, then from there Im looking at either CIW or Cisco Engineer.

CIW as my fiancee has already taken the course via CT so I have all the books to hand, then again, Cisco Engineer as it pays well and I can learn via college :)

Cheers

4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Given that you're already studying for your MCDST, according to your WIP, I would suggest no. Instead, I'd be looking to throw myself into that. Indeed, I'd probably be looking to study CompTIA A+ and Network+ prior to going for the MCDST.

If you're clued up on MS Office, and you want certs to show that, then you may want to look at MOS or MCAS depending on whether you want to certify in Office 2003 or Office 2007.

5. GiddyG

If it was me, I'd be looking to study in something I am interested in, as opposed to doing it because I have the books. In addiiton, few jobs pay well at the start. You have to get the experience, and that can take years.

6. Jaron78

Many Thanks Giddy. Are all these certifications available as Self Study?

Regards,

Ron

7. Sparky

It takes years to become a Cisco engineer and get the big ££££. Best to start out in desktop support\helpdesk progress to server admin and then look at the Cisco route IMO.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Jaron78

So continue with the MCDST certification then move on from there?

9. Sparky

Sounds like a plan. :thumbleft

10. Jaron78

Excellent, thanks Guys.

11. GiddyG

Can do, but study for the A+ and Network+ will help you learn the basics... seriously. I'm studying for my entry level Cisco exam now, and I know that without prior expereince on networks and the information I learnt from doing the likes of the CompTIA Network+, I would be struggling. It's hard enough as it is.

For more info on the CompTIA certifications, have a look at the CompTIA forums on this site, and the CompTIA site itself here.

12. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

What they said ^_^ - besides, the ECDL is a certification aimed at being a competent USER. If you want to get into IT I don't think it will be of much, if any, value. If you are interested in getting into networks (as am I) A+, Network+ and MCDST are the best to start with. All can be done self-study. Best of luck on the job hunt.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  13. Jaron78

Many thanks guys,

Will complete the MCDST exam, then move onto A+ and Network+, then onto Cisco.

Only worry I have is the age issue. I'm 32 in a few weeks, is there any sort of "age issue" within the IT industry?

14. GiddyG

No age issue at all, as far as I am concerned. Craigie has recently (in the last couple of years I think) changed career from memory. He is about your age.

If you're passionate enough about IT and you enjoy not just reading about it, but doing it, then there is no reason why you cannot make a success of it. Just like anything else, you can get hacked off at times... bu that's life.

15. kicsiburcsi

kicsiburcsi Bit Poster

Hi,

Just want to say it is never late to change. I have changed career bit less than two years ago and I am 32 now.
    Study what the previous posts suggested as they know what they talking about.
    I have walked the same path: MCDST, A+ and now studying for MCSA.

Never, never late to change!:thumbleft

kicsiburcsi

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-290, Degree in IT
  16. Jaron78

Thanks Guys, much appreciated :)