Ebook readers

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dales, Jan 6, 2009.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has an ebook reader and what they think of it. I'm mostly interested in their ability to display pdf's (i.e. the ones in the mspress books). They do still seem quite expensive but I am attracted by the thought of having all my books easily accessible from a reader. I doubt I'd ever buy a book in the readers native format so I'd only really use them for PDF's

Are they any good or should another year or twos wait be a good idea!?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Looking at the prices of those, if they are genuinely peaking your interest, why don't you just buy a sub-notebook. Then you have an 'ebook reader' that you can also genuinely use for other more practical things :biggrin

I'm looking at an Acer Aspire One after almost giving myself RSI on the first generation EEE's keyboard (far too cramped).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Have to agree with Arroryn, I'm currently using a Dell Mini with a Solid State Hard Drive to read things on and do a few MS Press Book tests whilst I'm on Jury Service.

Gotta say they are pretty dang good. I would recommend investing your money in one of these.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Good find, For some reason though I find it hard reading PDF's on a computer screen, and I saw a sony ebook reader in waterstones the other week and was really impressed the way the text looked almost exactly like a printed page. anyway I've got 2 laptops already and dont really need another one just of the sake of it being small, but that acer one does look good for the money.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing