Easiest way to become Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP).

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by BreakIn, Aug 5, 2006.

1. BreakIn

BreakIn New Member

What is the easiest way to become Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)?

I’d like to start earning MS Certification. I’m thinking that earning one, although easy will be a good start to help
    -build confidence,
    -gain familiarity with certification process,
    -and be able to add something to my resume quickly.
    I was thinking that passing the 271 (Supporting Users and Troubleshooting XP) would be a good place to start.

Thanks in advance! :biggrin

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

there is no easy way to becoming certified nor getting into IT. Having done a few MS exams the MCDST is the best cert to start with MS wise - but if this is your 1st cert then i suggest you take a look at the A+ first and the Network+ before the MCDST...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Breakin,

I agree with Zimbo. Although all the MS certs are worth doing in my opinion, they assume a certain amount of knowledge right from the word go.

good luck

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

True Si, but they also require a lot of money and unless you have just won the lotto, you will end up with a big hole in your pocket!

At least with Compti certs you only have to take once!

Thank God!

What will happen when MS release Vista will that mean SimonGUK will have to retake his MCDST?:(

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

With MS certs you don't have to retake them, once you have them you are certified.

When a new product is released then a new set of exams come out, but you don't have to become certified on the new version. For instance, I'm an MCSA on Windows 2000, if I wanted to I could do an upgrade to be an MCSA on 2000 and 2003, but I will have two different certs, one that says MCSA 2k, and another that says MCSA 2K3. For the rest of my life I will be an MCSA 2000.

8)

P.S. If MS release a new MCSDT then I may look into getting that, but since its only two exams I reckon that it there won't be a direct upgrade path.

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thanks for the update Simon, but do you get a discount for the new exams, since you already are MS certified or do you pay the full whack!

So does your MCDST cover office XP?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yes the 272 covers more Office and alot of Outlook express too. No i think upgrade exams cost just the same as normal exams.

@simon that could well be true - Vista and a new Office but i dont know i think they will only have one exam to upgrade and to be honest if its 2 to upgrade i will be thinking twice to upgrade - i would rather work on getting MCSE :tune

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

If you get familiar with XP, you also can do the same thing with Vista. Just Client Operating System. Don't care too much! It's so exciting ! ^^

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Upgrade exams are the same price as regular exams but if you take the MCSE upgrade the exam is decidedly more difficult than taking individual exams.

This was certainly the case for me when I did the upgrade exam for 2K3 - I've been MCSE certified on NT, 2000 and now 2003. I took a year out to study for my MCSE 2000, but that was because I'd received a hefty redundancy payout which enabled me to do so.

I took the upgrade route for my 2K3 exam - and boy was it hard. I passed it by the skin of my teeth and was in there for the full time allotted (I think it was four hours).

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

If you're starting from scratch you would need to do all 7 exams to be an MCSE 2k3 or all four to be a MCSA 2k3. If upgrading from 2k there are two exams for each (i think ,might be one for the MCSA). While they cost the same, upgrading costs a lot less than doing the whole lot. That said, going from 2k to 2k3, while being pretty tough and quite different, would mostly be for the sake of pleasing employers. you could most likely work out most of the differences using on the job experience. 2k was NT with extras, XP is 2k with extras, and vista is still just NT based and virtually the same plus some new features

Certifications: MCSA & A+
    WIP: MCSE CCNA