e-Readers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowwebs, Nov 28, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Does anyone own an e-Reader and if you do then which one?

I am thinking of adding one to my christmas list... I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is ok for reading things on, but would prefer an 'actual' e-Reader so I get more screen space.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. mackie

mackie Nibble Poster

I have a Kindle Touch which I use all the time. Can't fault it in any way. Useful if you want to check something on the internet and plays MP3's.

Certifications: IAB, Sage 50, MOUS and MCP
    WIP: A+
  3. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Kindle for me as well was always no to them at first as I prefer "real" books and probably still do but wouldn't be without my kindle now

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I've got a xoom with the kindle app on as well as a kindle dx which I love. The dx is a little slow but its a joy to read, a few years ago I has a sony PR something or another but reading tech books on that was a nightmare all the images didn't scale well and they were too small to properly see natively so thats the reason I got the DX. I dont know if anyone makes them that size anymore. I do like the kindle app as well as obviously images are in colour and searching is much easier than the kindle.

Best bet to is have a look at someone elses, someones bound to have one or if not take a wonder into a shop even if its just a kobo in smiths to see what you think of them in general as far as I can tell the reading experience if fairly similiar between them.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Kindle Keyboard + 3G. Not the best purpose I ever made, as I don't read novels that much, and do most of my reading from websites.

6. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I have a Kindle, as above searching can be a bit of a chore, but otherwise its great. Akso great for carrying PDF copies of my cv!

Tesco are selling them at £69 at the mo as well

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  7. Jammo1987

Jammo1987 Nibble Poster

It's not really an e-reader but I use the iPad for reading.

I used to use the Kindle but the backlight on the iPad won me over!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCTS (70-515), MCTS (70-516)
    WIP: MCTS (70-513)
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I got a Kindle a while back but found I only really used it for general reading, not studying, it just didn't "feel" right for me.

I went back to using the books and now also use the iPad quite a lot as well, can't explain why just prefer it to the Kindle!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Kindle for books and Nexus 7 Kindle app for IT books, find it works better :-)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
    Jammo1987 likes this.
  10. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Kindle 3g for me. The book store on Amazon is great, Ive bought loads of IT books from there and the screen they have make them easy on the eye for hours. There are a few new contenders which are probably just as good but Im not sure on how good their book stores are.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Kindle and Zinio Apps on the New iPad that the wife bought me for Christmas! :D

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  12. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I have the kindle app for both Windows Phone and Windows 8, works just fine over here, even on the Surface.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I find my paper based books never crash, even if splashed with water they just degrade a little, they never run out of juice on a plane, don't date horribly and cost $100+ less. They have simply brilliant paper like text that doesn't strain the eyes. Really easy to use in combination with a computer to do exercises. When I've finished with them I can sell them on to the next lucky reader.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    shadowwebs and andylad9 like this.