E-commerce with Skills Train

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by sappleton, Sep 4, 2007.

1. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

A friend recommended me to do an i.t. course with the skills train, had someone come round and try and get me to start a course in e-commerce (said i would find web design boring) .

what appealed to me most was that they said by completing this course I would earn enough points to live in australia etc.

i was also told the avergae minimum salary for e-commerce was £39,000 in the uk. I dont expect this salary, its not the money that makes me want to do it, more the idea of living somewhere else and doing a job i will enjoy

just had a few questions

1) would this let me live in australia?
    2) is skills train better than others such as computeach, advent etc.
    3) can these courses normally be done with a mac?
    4) does £2700 sound a fair price?

one company did ring me the other day saying not to go with skills train but wouldn't tell me why

2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

To be honest I wouldnt use any of them, but some people here do and they might be able to offer you better advice from their perspectives.

Have you not thought of buying a couple of books, and having a play around with it all first, to ensure that its what you want to do? It wouldn't be nice for your to spend any large amount of money to then realise half way down the line, you dont like it.

As for the skillstrain representative telling you that you'd find web design boring, I cant think how he would know this? I have many friends in web design who love the stuff, cant get enough of it!

You really need a desire to persue things like this in my opinion, and without that desire I think you will struggle to keep yourself motivated and on target, im unsure if you have that desire or not? Maybe you need to ask yourself if this is what you really want to do. A friend just saying you should do it doesn't inspire me with much confidence.

:)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

its definately something i want to do, ive looked in the booklet about what subjects are covered in ecommerce and it interests me alot

i was put off web design when i was told about the programming side of things

i dont think i'd be motivated enough if i wasn't paying or having to read books. i like the idea of having interactive teaching from the computer, i also think i'd be more likely to get a good job after by going through skills train, they work with job agecies such as reed to help you find a job

this course consists of CIW E-commerce strategies and practices + CompTia Project+ certification

are these any good?

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not sure where you got those "average minimum salary" figures from... those don't even sound like "average salary" figures for e-commerce. Web designers don't get paid a great deal until they get into the back-end programming integration part of it... and by then, it's more programming than Web design.

If you got these salary figures from Skillstrain (or any other training company), beware. It's likely a gimmick to get you to spend money on courses. To be honest, you don't need a training course for ANY IT training. See the certifications in my sig? All of them were gained through self-study and on-the-job experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole with statements like they have made. I have a Degree in e-business and it's complete bullsh@t them saying that the average salary is £39k.

You are best off doing something like a foundation degree in e-business at uni or a local college and that will give you points towards moving to Australia.

Part of the course I did was web designing and I found it to be the most enjoyable part of the course and far from boring but it depends on what you like doing.

What is it that you want to do it IT is what you should be asking yourself and then choose the right path for yourself and gear your training towards that.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

am i being thick here? How would completing a course earn you a right to live in another country? I admit that I havent done the e-commerce course (hell, I havent even looked in its direction), but why would the australian government be even remotely concerned that you had passed a course?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Higher eductation gives you points towards their entry system.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Hi Sappleton,

I agree. You can't decide the course of your career on what others say you will or will not enjoy.

Skills Train has been said to produce some pretty good study aides, but they're also pretty expensive if you don't know for sure that's what you really want to persue.

Like nXPLOSi said, you can pick up a couple of references, even used or outdated, and look into the subject a little more. You might find some of it interesting, while other subjects bore you to death. On the flip side, you may simply love it. But you won't have a bundle invested to find out.

Don't persue it as a career unless it's something that's really going to get you up and out the door in the morning. You gotta love it to be any good at it and to stay with it.

But that's just my opinion,
    Bill

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ah right. well i suppose that makes sense then. just wasnt something I had ever heard about before.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Sappleton,

I am with Skillstrain, but for a different course.

Although I am completely happy with the provider, I would suggest that you first have a peruse of Amazon, and spend a small amount of money on books relating to the course.

Read them, and make sure that the course is for you. The Skillstrain salesman can't tell you that you wouldn't find web design interesting, either; it's not as if they know you as a person? So if that did interest you before the visit, get a book on that too.

If this is your first foray into IT, it is more than possible to study for entry level Certs on your own. You will find most people, for good reason, recommending this as opposed to going through a TP.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

12. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

i'd be happy on £9,000 a year if it meant doing an i.t. job i enjoyed that offered training, not gonna happen though