Dwindling Number of Test Centres

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by PPD2387, May 29, 2013.

1. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

Received an email from CompTIA this morning offering free access to their new Mobility+ (beta) exam. Everyone loves a freebie and the exam looks pretty interesting so I thought I'd give it a go but after logging in to my Pearson VUE account I was shocked to see that the nearest test centre to me is now 40 miles away!

There used to be five centres within very close proximity, now it seems there are none. I've not checked Prometric to see how they fare these days but it got me wondering - is this a sign of things to come? We all know that test centres are not profitable beasts but I have to admit that I was quite dissapointed. Interested in taking the exam but can't really justify an 80 mile round trip.

Anyone else have similar issues?

2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Just checked the nearest to me on Pearson is 0.9 miles and there is at least 20 test centres within 18 miles of me so that's not too bad.

Certifications: A few.
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

3rd nearest me is actually in a different country! (Bristol, England)

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I have same issue, roundtrip of around 100 miles for Prometric, Pearson Vue is local but MS tests are Prometric only.

Also half the test centers only open couple days a month.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  5. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I don't think test centres make much money from this alone. I spoke to a chap at a Prometric test centre which has one PC allocated for tests. He told me they make a few pounds per test and they have to supply their own hardware. The only reason they had it was they were a provider of IT courses and were trialing it.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have heard hearsay that the testing centres themselves only make £1 per exam. Yesterday I had a 170 mile round trip to take my exam. I was booked in to Wokingham, and I'm basically in Brighton. They're closing all over the shot on the south coast; would be easier for me to visit my parents when I take an exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I am in Leicester and I am sure there used to be some in Leicestershire, but now the nearest is Coventry which sucks

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Testing centre's only get "paid" if they get over X amount of people per (either) month or quarter depending on if it's Vue or Prometric.

Unfortunately because alot of us (IT pros) are either self-studying or using the cheaper online courses, the testing centres who are also training centres are closing as it's not financially viable.

It's got to the point that we've become a private Certiport and Prometric testing centre ourselves and are currently looking to become a Vue testing centre. We won't be a public one as it's not financially viable to open it up to the public.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Is this going to end up leading to where you will only be able to take an exam if you take a training course with a training provider, as otherwise with the current trend all the test centre will be gone.

Personally I do prefer self study

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Well hopefully the Wokingham one I had to trek to will stay for a wee while - it's the Global Knowledge HQ lol

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA