DVI or VGA (LCD to Nvidia 7950GTX)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HTF, Feb 5, 2010.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

I would like to buy LCD/Plasma TV (42"-46") and can you tell me what cable will be best VGA or DVI (My laptop is Dell M1710 with Nvidia 7950GTX).
    The DVI has refresh rate limit up to 60Hz is that correct? What if the TV will be 100Hz or even more, the DVI connector will limit this refresh rate?

BTW:

Do you know some good website with TV reviews/rates or maybe some preferred TV models

Regards

Certifications: A+
  2. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi,

Well it depends on a couple of factors:

1. What does your laptop have in the way of outputs? VGA, DVI, S-Video, HDMI?
    2. The majority of TV's I have ever seen only have a VGA port

Therefore:

If your laptop has an HDMI port, buy and HDMI cable and a TV with an HDMI port, this will give you better performance than both VGA and DVI.

If your laptop doesn't then buy a VGA cable because buying vga-to-dvi convertors will not make a difference to your refresh rate in my opinion.

I normally go to Richer Sounds, they are well priced and staff have good knowledge.

3. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

Unfortunately I have only VGA and DVI ports and not HDMI so what do you think about DVI to HDMI cable? Is it good solution in my case, better that VGA?

Certifications: A+
  4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

I have the DVI to HDMI and it works fine. But it doesnt receive sound.

Regards,

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

DVI is the better connection because it's Digital compared to Analogue with VGA

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

If you can get a dvi to hdmi cable, it'd be your best option.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291