@DVENT TRAINING

Discussion in 'A+' started by spy22, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Out of interest is n e one else on here studying mcse through advent training!? Just wondered what anybody else thought about the structure of the course or if anybody had n e thing good or bad to say about @dvent traing themselves??

thanx all :biggrin

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Have you seriously not searched for the numerous other posts in these forums regarding Advent? :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

yeah:blink or maybe no!! oops, lol

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Like Michael said there are a lot of threads on here about advent, most of them negative, but then again it seems most training providers are crap because all they want is your money.

Have a look for yourself.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

great comment bruce, lol, thanx, will have a look, ta

6. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Spy22

This forum is for people who generally self study. Next time just have a quick look at some previous posts before posting one of the houndreds of similar topics :dry

But I myself wasn't aware of the self study route in which is alot cheaper so yeah i am currently doing MCSE with Advent.

I take it your reading through the big book at the moment like me?

- I disagree with Bruce there :p Bruce is just a self studier through and through... but if a provider is what you want and feel is for you then there are some benefits, but not many for the price tag a provider carries i agree.

Certifications: A+, N+
  7. greenbrucelee

I wouldn't say I am a self studier through and through. I was about to go with a tp untill some of the people on here let me see the light and I'm glad they did.

What could be easier than buying a book or two reading them, understnading the material then taking the exams, if I had the money I'd be going to my local test center now and taking the A+.

As soon as I do have the spare cash I will because I am getting sick of aceing the practice exams I have. :dry

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Self study all the way to save £££ plus you have CF to ask questions if your stuck. Cheerio:biggrin, knowledge is power.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Is it?? I better be off then because im with a TP as are quite a few of the regular posters. :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  10. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

My bad.

What is TP short for?

11. greenbrucelee

Training provider :D

12. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Right, i thought he was abreviating his provider but yeah ok... ill come bk tomorrow im obviously too tired and posting rubish hehe sorry :oops:

13. BosonMichael

Some regular posters ARE with a TP... but most of us DO advocate self-study.

That said, this forum isn't "for people who generally self study".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

check my posts for reviews of uk it training

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  15. djbonnett

djbonnett Banned

Hi folks

I am learning with @vent.

It is good for me cos it gave me a kick up the backside to actually stick to a study plan.
    Their Study Manual on A+ 601 is ok and they give you lots of practice exams.

Plus it cost alot of money as well, that is incentive enough to keep plugging away!!!!

Chow for now.:biggrin

Certifications: C.L.A.I.T.
    WIP: A+ and MCDBA
  16. BosonMichael

If you want a kick up the backside to stick to a study plan, I'll do it for a tenth the cost! AND provide top-notch study material! :deal

17. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I dont see why a couple of you guys on here already havent!

18. BosonMichael

I'm not kidding! :biggrin If that's REALLY all you need to get motivated to study, give me a tenth of what you pay Advent, and I'll ensure you get the training materials and... er... "motivation". :cracking

That said... nobody should need ME to motivate THEM. If someone wants to do IT bad enough, they will be motivated enough to study. And if someone doesn't want to do IT bad enough to stay motivated to study... then they probably don't need to be in IT. Just food for thought... :)

19. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hmm,

I made a few large and informative posts about Advent on other Advent topics. I agree, use the search function and type Advent before you post more of the same.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've often thought about 'mentoring' people and charging a fraction of what major TPs seem able to get away with. Surely it couldn't be too hard to come up with a proper way of learning - tell people what they are going to need to do up front before charging them a single penny and then, if they're still interested, devise a curriculum based on the MOC and some 'homebrew' labs & stuff?

Of course, telling people at the outset how damn hard it would be to study for an MCSE might drive away a lot of them, but then at least they would be getting sensible advice from someone already in the industry - as opposed to the old 'the average salry in IT is £38000! You could be earning this in two weeks if you bootcamp your MCSE with us!!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em