DVD writer not picked up in Ubuntu (9.10)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HMSPresident, Apr 18, 2010.

1. HMSPresident

HMSPresident Bit Poster

Evenin' all,

I've finally got round to building my own machine (first time i've built one from scratch!)

Basic specs -
    Mobo - BioStar TH55B-HD
    CPU - Intel Core i5 750
    RAM - 4GB DDR3 from Crucial

I've installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu (9.10) - having downloaded the ISO and written to a CD.

For some reason though, Ubuntu won't do anything with the DVD-Writer that is installed.. I know it's working and picked up in BIOS, as that's how I instlaled Ubuntu in the first place!

It appears on the File-manager, but whatever disc I put in, it just doesn't do anything.. I've tried a normal Audio-CD, a Windows XP installation CD (I was trying to build a VM), and the original Ubuntu installation CD, but none of them come up.

When the disc is in, I double-click on the 'CD/DVD drive' under 'Computer', but it doesn't even spin-up.

DVD-drive is a Samsung Super WriteMaster, SH-223

I've not much experience with Ubuntu, so have no idea where to start! I'm guessing it's a Driver issue??

Certifications: See sig..
    WIP: BCMSN
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hiya,

just picked up on this. Did you resolve it? If not, may be worth posting over on the ubuntu forum

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT