DVD question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Theprof, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I was under the impression that if you use DVD/CD that are high in burning speed than what a DVD player is capable of, it would still work, only you could burn at the speed of the DVD burner. Now I am not sure sure. I bought Dual Layer DVD's to burn a bunch of PST's and I can't do so because the DVD's are 8x for DL burning and the DVD burner is 2x for burning DL.

I've used Verbatim DVD's and ATAPI DVD 2X 4X 16X drive...

I keep on getting Write Lead-in errors both with Imgburn and Nero... Any thoughts?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As far as I can see it the dvds should default to the spec of the dvd player unless they are specifically 2x speed which makes them incompatible. Have you tried changing the default compression ratio?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I haven't tried that, but what I did try was flashing the firmware, updating the drivers, etc... nothing worked. I will try the compression ratio and see if that works. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. greenbrucelee

The firmware update may help. I have had a similar problem before where my drive did not like the dual sided disks that had the purpley tinge to them but others worked fine.

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I would think that you can set the burning speed within the program. I know most will do it automatically but have you tried setting it specifically to 2x?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

DVD burners are notoriously picky about the media they support. Some are less finicky than others.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I did chose to manually set the speed to 2x, I even tried 1x but non the less the issue persists. I also tried the compression setting but that did not change anything... I honestly had this burner for probably close to 6 years so I just went ahead and ordered a new burner for $30 that burns DLs at 12x... Last year I was having detection issues with this burner so I feel like it's crashing little by little.

Mike, I agree, very picky which is why I try and stay with the higher end media like Verbatim.

8. greenbrucelee

If I remember right the discs I had issues with were verbatim

9. BosonMichael

Strangely enough, I've seen some burners actually prefer some of the lower-end stuff, while creating coasters on higher-end stuff. Best place to look for compatible media is on the burner manufacturer's Web site.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Interesting... to be quite honest, I've used verbatim many many times with this burner and never had any issues... But I guess there is always a first...

11. BosonMichael

This site might come in handy for you... or at the very least, is interesting: link

You can check your discs' media ID to determine what you've got.