DVD Forum punts blue laser HD-DVD

Discussion in 'News' started by Phil, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

DVD Forum punts blue laser HD-DVD

The DVD Forum has begun to promote its second-generation DVD specification to Taiwanese drive manufacturers.

The organisation, which oversees the DVD format, approved a blue laser-based format, to be called HD-DVD, last November. The technology came from Toshiba and NEC, rather than the Blu-ray format backed by Sony, Pioneer, Samsung, Matsushita Electric, Philips and others.

Unlike Blu-ray, the Toshiba/NEC system retains backwards compatibility with today's DVD specification, allowing HD-DVD machines to play older discs and ensuring disc manufacturers can more easily re-tool their production lines for the new format.

By contrast, Blu-ray requires all-new equipment. However, supporter companies are already offering Blu-ray machines. Sony shipped its pro-oriented rewriteable 23GB Professional Disc for Data (PDD) last December, and is preparing a second-generation 50GB consumer version which it will use in a TiVo-style personal video recorder later this year. Similar models from other Blu-ray supporters - most notably Philips and Matsushita/Panasonic - are expected this summer to coincide with the Olympic Games.

Rest of Story: The Register

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      Phil, i see nobody has replied to this post but I think it really is *very* interesting. This blu-ray (blue rather than red laser) technology is going to be THE next big adavnce in data storage for PCs as well as other media.

Up to 50gig on one disk :eek:

Check out this http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

And the hardware looks really cool too 8) http://www.blu-ray.com/recorders/

Pete
    2. Phil
      Phil
      Thanks for those links Pete, very interesting. I notice the original article states that the Blu-ray format isn't backwards compatible but the Blu-ray site FAQ says it is, I think that'll be an important factor in which format prevails.

Phil
    3. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      I agree Phil, without backwards compatibility it would probably not take off but it is looking like the players can play any CD type media :)

Pete
    4. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      there are competing blue-laser technologies that are causing the problem, just like Beta and VHS, and DVD+ and DVD-
      Both are exciting developments, and production models from sony have already hit the shelves in japan

I think its going to be good when it hits mass market and computer based systems are avaialble, a blue laser SHOULD be able to read stuff written with a red laser, it can just read/write into tighter spaces due to its shorter wave length, so it should all be backward compatible, but its all in the implementation of the specification to be honest, it will not take off if its not backward compatible, as DVD has only really started to take off, and no bodys replacing thier collection already :)