dumb question re: 2612 router

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by flyboynm, Apr 6, 2012.

1. flyboynm

flyboynm New Member

What is the minimum amount of memory needed to create rsa 1024 crypto keys? Will this router even support it? Is Cisco memory proprietary? I currently have 4 of them that are 32/8s and might just have to junk them if I cannot get an IOS on it that has crypto key generation capability.

Thanks for the help once again.

2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Have you got an image which supports crypto? I haven't came across a memory requirement for generating RSA crypto keys....only ever that i haven't had a crypto image.

Also, does it need to be a 1024-bit key?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. flyboynm

flyboynm New Member

Yes, I have an image that requires it but have not put it on yet. I was trying to make certain the IOS image to update can be supported by my OS. It has the K9 in the name.

Yes, I need 1024. It is for SSH practice and I have been told previously that it requires it.

4. flyboynm

flyboynm New Member

Basically, I just need a reference that makes some sense that explain memory requirements of the IOSs available. I cannot seem to find a "table" type reference where it lists X.XX.whatever - needs 64/8 or x.xxa requires 64/16. Does anyone have a link that has that type of table? I already found what I need for telling me that max I can do with my 2612s is 32/16. :(

5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

You IOS IS the OS....just make sure they flash you have (32MB) is big enough for the k9 image you have.

If it is just for practice you do not need 1024-bit.....if you want to enable SSHv2 you will need 768-bit mind you.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. flyboynm

flyboynm New Member

I am considering upgrading these 32/8s to 64/16s (max them out). What are the odds that I will need to change the boot rom if I do this? Just a guess is fine. Would upgrading the memory/flash on these routers really help with the resell value?

I plan on going for my CCNP after this and understand that these routers have little use towards that direction. If I decide to get rid of these routers, what routers are the most "economical i.e. cheapest" to pick up that are good enough to get the CCNP?

I understand my 2950 switches are also the same case. What are the most "economical" routers for the CCNP?

I have to do this as inexpensively as possible. The wife told me that I have a limited budget to get the equipment that will work for me to get the CCNP.

I WANT to have a complete home lab and not go the GNS3 or Packet Tracer because I am a hands-on learner and do not do well in a virtual world.