Dumb Linux question

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Jakamoko, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

See the title of the thread :roll:

OK, so if Linux is free, how come you have to pay for it (told you it was dumb) ?

I was in PC World today, and while there, was looking at a few diff versions at various prices. Curiosity is increasingly getting the better of me, so I reckon that before long I'll give it a try (no idea which flavour, tho')
    :hhhmmm

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Now i'm not 100% sure but I think you can download CD images of the various flavours of linux for free. Of course you will get no fancy boxes and no instruction book and have to supply your own CD. Plus the download will be about 650Mb.

I've been told that you ca't go wrong with Red Hat but as a complete novice I'm sure others will have their say

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Linux IS free Gav

If you want a copy of either RedHat V8 or Mandrake e-mail me

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Have done, thanks, Sandy :thumbleft

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Linux is free, and freely distributed,
    most distributions are downloadable, all it costs is time taken + cds
    with off the shelf editions you get manuals, and usualy a service contract
    enterprise versions often cost money due to service levels that are supplied with one, although at a recent talk I heard that with Red Hat enterprise you can take all the binary and source and re distribute it as your own, as long as there are no trademarked graphics
    which is nice :)

I am currently using a few Live CDs (Slax and Knoppix) and Debian and Fedora servers, also a mandrake desktop im playing with, seems interesting

for a new user who wants to learn unix from the users perspective, try the live cds, no instalation, and no alteration of current system settings (it just boots and runs from the CD) a tad slow on older machines, but good to get used to the feel of linux, if you want to learn administration, its really down to preference, Suse, Mandrake, Red Hat, all are great, but to be a true linux/unix admin you need to know the command line, the shell, dont do everything through the gui, it wont serve you well in the real world

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the opinions/info there Guys - sounds like I should at least have a closer look.

btw - @Sandy - I e-mailed you, but it came back . I'll PM you instead