Duel Boot XP & Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tyler D, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Any of you guys done this?? If so was it a straight forward install or did you come across any problems?
    Just thought i would check before i go ahead tonight and do the deed.

Cheers guys :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I did this usingthe RC1 vista. I had no problems with it. It was simple enough to do and i could choose from Vista and Xp with little effort (saves changing drives like i used to!!). Vista would read most of the files already existing under XP and even rana few games with out them having to be re-installed.

However, i have since taken RC1 off my pc and yet i still get the dual boot menu. I have checked my boot.ini file against another PC thats only using XP and both are the same. I can't figure out why it still asks me do i want to boot to XP or Vista.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I also manage fine with Vista Ultimate (final)
    I do howver use a seperate drive (or u could use a partition)
    I wouldnt advise having them both on the same drive/partition as your asking for it!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

I ran 2k,XP and vista RC1 okay(all on different partitions) but I'm going to replace vista with xp pro for my studies, wonder if the I'll have the same problem, I'll let you know over the weekend.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  5. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I had a similar problem. Installed Vista to a separate drive which I later removed but was still getting the Vista boot menu. My solution was to FIXMBR then FIXBOOT on the XP drive. Probably using a sledgehammer to crack a nut but got things back to how they were before.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  6. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Cheers guys , will give it a go and hope for the best :p

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have you tried using FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands?

Ive had no problems with dual boot. Currently running XP pro with vista business.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Just try multi booting with the likes of XP Pro, XP x64, Media Centre and Vista lol...I am going to flatten my machine this weekend and install XP Pro, Media Centre and Vista Ultimate and all shall be well :biggrin but multi boot is fantastic :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Probably because Vista changes how dual boots are done. There's no more boot.ini... everything's handled by the BCD store (edited with BCDEDIT). BCD link - Microsoft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I installs Windows XP twice (seperate partition for each one) and then upgraded one of them. No drama :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Will running FIXBOOT and FIXMBR affect my current XP installation or does it just remove the dual boot option?

Don't want to have to re-install XP just yet!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  12. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

It shouldnt affect your current installation, but its always wise to back anything up that you need, just in case

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house