Dual Channel Broken??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elli5on, Jan 7, 2007.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone, question for you...... Ive recently finished building a pc. Im using the following motherboard and memory-

http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=323&model=1266&modelmenu=1

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-070-OC

So i installed all components, 1 stick of ram to begin with... installed windows etc etc and all was well.

I then proceeded to install the 2nd stick of RAM, turned on the pc. Got past POST and on comes the loading bar screen for windows XP.
    Next the pc decides to re-boot itself, only this time it does not detect any HDD present when the 2nd stick of ram is installed.

I then take out the 2nd stick of ram and all works fine again.

Any ideas?

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Also, would flashing the BIOS fix this??

Seems strange thats all

3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Worth a try I suppose, as long as you take the usual precautions.

What make are the memory sticks? Have you tried googling for compatibility problems with your make on RAM and motherboard?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Yeh, theyre OCZ special ops edition. Would compatibility be a problem though?? One stick will work fine. But 2 seems to ruin my pleasure. hehe

Tried it with just the basics attached. And still the same problem.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Could be compatibility, could be a bad stick of memory. You've tried it with one stick of memory... have you tried it with the other stick of memory by itself?

My condolences on using an AM2 architecture, what with the low cost and superior performance of the Core 2 Duo chips. But I digress.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Both sticks work fine individually. The CPU is brilliant to be fair, Not scoring much less than a core 2duo. :biggrin

8. BosonMichael

But still... less. ;) You won't know pure joy until you've driven one of these C2D babies. :wub

Have you made sure you're using the right memory slot to take advantage of the dual-channel architecture?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Yeh ive checked both cards in all different notations to see if i have any joy. Still a no no.

Ive driven a core 2 duo, they are very good. Only slightly better than the 5200+ X2. Both very good for gaming.:D

10. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Afraid I can't help with your problem but I've recently developed a similar problem with Gigabyte board no longer liking my ram as dual channel. Got two banks and tried the ram in both of them but just cannot get it to run reliably with dual channel enabled, works fine with both sticks as single channel. Not the ram as it all checks out fine with various test programs and they were purchased as a matched set and they had been running fine as dual channel for the past 12 months.
    Things I have tried;
    - cleaning connections on ram and mobo
    - clearing CMOS and updating BIOS
    - checked for overheating and obstuctions.

When I get chance I'm going to remove the heat spreaders from the ram to see if that helps. Just bloody annoying and perplexing at the same time....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  11. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Ive also cleared the CMOS with no joy, the board and RAM are spankers... So cleaning them should'nt be an issue, Next stop is a good old flash of the BIOS.

12. BosonMichael

Couldn't hurt, and might just increase compatibility.

I considered OCZs for my Asus board, and found that the required voltage was a tad too high than the board delivered by default. I opted for some Corsair instead.

13. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

To be honest that's something that i have not checked. The default voltage given out by the board. And required voltage.

A slight overclock cant be too bad, may just try a BIOS flash first of all though.

I usually use DFI LanParty motherboard, but someone advised me to go with ASUS. Oh how i wish i would have stayed the faithful type. Another reason i chose the 5200+ dual core michael.... He He :biggrin

14. BosonMichael

My concern wasn't getting the overclock... I was concerned with trying to get the mobo to even boot to BIOS to be able to adjust stuff. I heard a few stories of the OCZs not working well in some boards due to voltage. I opted to go the safe route.

Had the C2Ds not been out by the time I upgraded, I'd have gone AMD as well. My last PC was also Intel, back when they were king... and they lost the crown to AMD soon after. Strangely enough, Intel regained the crown just as I was ready to upgrade my PC.

ASUS makes a good board. You'll be extremely pleased, if their AM2 chipsets are as good as their Intel ones. Though I don't overclock, they're known for their overclocking ability.

15. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Yeh i can boot into the BIOS not problem whatsoever. I know ASUS makes a good board for overclocking utilities, But to be honest i dont think i have ever used a board so overclocking friendly as a DFI lanparty.
    They are absaloutely brilliant, always be my number 1......

Well hopefully this BIOS flash will fix the issue, if not the board is going back.

16. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Install the OS with one stick first then add the second stick after completing the install ...it should work fine...if it is fully patched etc...

I remember reading something recently that the HAL possibly during setup is not what it could be ...
    [HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer]

Also try moving and PCI cards to different slots in case there is a low levelhardware is that is not sorting automatically..

Edit: Here is possibly a useful post...
    http://www.mcseworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9258&page=2

HTH

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  17. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi all. Well after a few minor tweeks etc etc, i seemed to get it working. I overclocked the system 3% and boom. Works like a dream, F.E.A.R here i come.

HE HE :D

18. BosonMichael

Betcha it was somewhat related to voltage. Congrats!!

By the way, I enjoyed the heck outta F.E.A.R. :)