Dual Boot Win95 & Win98

Discussion in 'Software' started by TimoftheC, Jun 20, 2008.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Well, I know that technically this is not possible as both OS's use the same files and Microsoft certainly don't support it, but it is something I would like to put in place on an old PC that I have, especially now i've acquired some old games that I never played before (anyone remember Wing Commander and Freespace?).

Despite that, I have been searching the net looking for a way round it and have found this article : -

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/start-02a.html

My question is, does anybody know if this will work or is there a known better way of doing it?

Oh, I have tried running the games virtually through Virtual PC 2004 (2007 does not support win95) but one of the games needs 3d acceleration and I cannot find that you can do that in Virtual PC.

Tim

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Create a couple of primary partitions (of the sizes that you need for each OS), then use a multiboot program like OSL2000 to automatically switch between the two partitions. It will auto hide the 95 from the 98 and vice-versa. That should do the trick.

edit: you will probably need some kind of partition tool that can resize live partitions if you already have one of the OS's setup.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

4. TimoftheC

Re-partitioning the drives and installing the OSs is not a problem as I'd planed to do that anyway, in fact I'm sure I have another 10gb hdd sitting around somewhere so I might just put that in as well.

As for the multi boot programme - looks pretty good, know of any free versions:biggrin

I've always found compatibility mode in XP to be pretty crap to be honest. Admittedly I have not tried it on the programmes I want to run, bit in my experience, if you are trying to run a programme (well games:biggrin) originally designed for dos but made win95 compatible, XP has a problem running it.

Of course, if you want to prove me wrong go ahead because if I could run them in XP compatibility mode it makes it a lot easier for me.

Thanx for the replies guys.

Tim

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

OSL2000 is free to try, then you get nagged a little if you carry on using it. I think it's a bit pricey myself for what it is. Certainly for a single use home licence I think it's pricey.

Grub is pretty good and comes with various flavours of Linux, and there are ways to put it on without installing Linux if you didn't want too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. TimoftheC

ooohhh really, I didn't know you could just use Grub without using Linux. I actually have Grub installed on my main computer that dual boots between Ubuntu and XP - gonna go check that out.

Thanx Modey :biggrin

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

LOL! im not gonna try it, you try it and then you can elimate that point. no harm in trying it just to make sure.

8. TimoftheC

OK, been doing a bit more research on this and believe that I need a decent Boot Manager to get this to work.

Therefore anybody know of a good, free, Boot Manager that also happens to come with idiot proof instructions?