Dual boot problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Jun 20, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im currently trying to get a dual boot set up on my comp, but every time i do, win xp seems to take over the whole HD.

I select the copy of xp to go on drive D, as im after win 7 to stay on C, and xp to go on D. Now even thghou im selecting d at the time of format, it still boots up but straight to win xp, there is no choice. Ive done loads of dual boot systems before, and ive never had this problem??

Anyone got any ideas??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. zxspectrum

Also ive just looked on the C drive and all my files are there, its as if its downgraded on to xp, even though it shouldnt have, what am i doing wrong??

ed

3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You need to install XP first, then Windows 7.
    XP doesn't know about Windows 7/Vista, it doesn't recognise them as Windows OSs. Vista/W7 know all about XP and know what to do when they detect XP on the system.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. zxspectrum

Ahhh right i can understad that. Should i put windows 7 onto the d D drive then ????, or onto the c Drive. As it is, XP is running great on the C drive, and when i quick formatted it back to Win 7, i got the 2 boot OS options, but XP was rubbish, which i knbow was a driver problem, and even though i know what graphics driver is has on the computer, it wouldnt let me install it ?

even downloading the driver and also the driver from the CD wouldnt load, because the screen size was too big, meaning that it would run only in 4 bit mode as opposed to16 bit and 32 bit, and i couldnt resize the icons, nor was there a scroll bar to click 'next' to install it ???

Ed

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

XP needs to be on the main partition and 7 on the second. I think the only way you will solve this is to do a clean install of both.

When setting up a dual boot system the older OS must be installed first.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. zxspectrum

I suppose it makes sense now lol, anyway, i can run xp for a few days until i get my hardrive caddie, then ill save everything onto that, and do that win 7 on D

Cheers guys

Ed