Driving Lesson 1... uhhh... 0

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Well my first driving lesson was scheduled for yesterday at 1500.

Notice the key word in that sentence there? 'scheduled'. The git noshowed.

Tried to call him and left an AM message. No response. So I called the AA and spoke to them after 30 mins waiting. They were unable to reach him anyway.

So I'm getting a refund, and going to another school (who ive been recommended by a friend).

The thing is, this guy has no excuse. He phoned me to reschedule the original lesson because he couldnt make it. So he knew about the lesson.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

You say AA... is the guy like a franchise holder then, or employed by the AA?

You'd think the daft git would have at the very least phoned you. Let's hope they give him what for... how long do you have to wait for the refund?

3. Fergal1982

up to 7 days. He didnt inform the AA about the reschedule, so as far as they were concerned it went ahead on Friday, and they credited him with the money.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats the way to earn 30k a year :twisted::D

I went with BSM and the instructor was spot on, it was he who got me to do the pass plus and asked the IAM to send me an application to join them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Everyone has their own experiences with driving tuition firms. I went with BSM initially and although I made steady progress, some of the ways in which they taught manoeuvres were ridiculous (parallel parking comes to mind).

I eventually got fed up and got my dad to teach me (he had just self-studied and qualified as a driving instructor himself).

I passed soon after.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. greenbrucelee

cool

As I am a member of IAM I have been to the odd meeting and I have found that many of the self employed driving instructors are the best especially when it comes to students who are nervous etc because the instructors don't have the added pressure of a franchise behind them pushing them to get lots of clients.

7. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

Personally I'd be wary of driving instructors recommended by a friend. Good Luck :p

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  8. Fergal1982

Yeah you are right, its allright though, if the driving instructor is useless, I fully intend to drive around to that so called friends house, run over his dog, and plow the car through the front door...

whats your address again?

9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I went with BSM too; my first instructor was a no-show, but I stuck with BSM as they promised me a clutch of free lessons as recompense.

Passed in... err... 8 lessons? The instructor I had was awesome, and was starting his own business shortly after I passed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

I went with BSM after a couple of others had turned out to be sh1te and found BSM to be really good.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I learned through self-study and real-world, hands-on experience. :thumbleft

aaahahahahahahaa!!! Sorry, it HAD to be said!!! :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. greenbrucelee

So it was you I saw being chased by the Tennessee highway patrol on that programme hosted by the copper with the whiter than white teeth was it?:twisted::D

13. BosonMichael

Could be... but I've been instructed by my lawyer to not say anything. :shtum

In any case, I don't know ANYBODY who pays for driving courses down here. And I haven't had an accident since... '95, I think it was.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. greenbrucelee

There's no law against it here but it is preffered that you have some tuition of a qualified instructor but basically if someone is over the age of 21 and has held a license for 3 years then they can teach someone else to drive.

15. BosonMichael

...preferred... or else... what? :blink If it's just preferred, why does everyone seem to take courses over there? Must be complicated to drive over there... it's ridiculously easy to get a license over here - you pass the written test and the driving test (neither of which are difficult), and bam, there's your license. Done! Easy peasy.

Driving's not rocket science. :)

16. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I have been tasked with teaching motorway driving to my recently passed little bro at some point, unfortunately he filled me with confidence last night saying that the other day he nearly knocked his car when he went to turn right as instructed by the sat nav, only to realise he wasnt quite at the turning yet :lol:
    I think theres some techniques that driving instructors can't teach you, common sense being a big one lol

WIP: A+
  17. Fergal1982

well, theres the logic that learning from a non-driving instructor (ie ole' pa!) means that you pick up their bad habits.

For me though, I dont really have anyone i could learn from. I could learn from my mum, but id rather not.

18. greenbrucelee

well in the UK you have to inform the dvla for a provisional license and you can only get one if you don't have any medical reasons which could hinder your driving, you then have to learn to drive then you have to apply to the dvla again to notify them you are ready for a test and you book with your local test center when you pass you are given another form to fill in which then get sent of to the dvla again with some money and some photos (if no photos sent before) then you get your license. This can take weeks.

you could pass your test on your 17th birthday but it could be a month before you get your licence allthough you can legally drive, but if stopped by the coppers you will be asked to present your license at a police station on a given date or get fined and this is even if the police check with the dvla to see that you have passed and applied for your full driving license.

There's so much red tape and strictness over here but not in the correct areas when it comes to driving.

19. BosonMichael

But taking a course doesn't solve ANY of that mess. :)

Tennessee has learner's permits at age 15 (where you have to have a licensed driver over a certain age wtih you at all times), and full drivers licenses at age 16 (with some small restrictions), last I checked. They print the licenses on the spot, so you don't have to wait.

20. BosonMichael

You will have likely learned their bad habits from watching them drive for years and years. :D

As far as the actual LEARNING part goes... there's not many bad habits you can employ while learning to drive in a parking lot. :biggrin