Drive Mapping Issue

Discussion in 'Networks' started by rax, Dec 12, 2007.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Ok, so I decided it can't be that hard to do this with just 2 pc's on my home network.

I mapped my own drives no problem, that is, I mapped my drives on my own pc so I basically had 2 icons for a single drive. However, this is pretty pointless and it's not what I intended on doing. Anyway, my problem is this:

On the laptop I can't get access to the Network place "home" which I created. So when I try to map to a drive on my pc, I can't actually view the pc to begin with. I also can't view the drives on the laptop (they've all been set to share).

I decided I would try booting in safe mode on the laptop with Admin account and low and behold I can map the drives from pc to laptop and laptop to pc no problem. The main user on the laptop is set to Administrator anyway so it's not admin rights or anything - I think.

Any ideas?

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

does the PC not have to have admin rights aswell as the laptop to get it to work?

I dont think you can have a machine with user access one without a user account this would be a hacking vunerability.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I have admin rights on the pc

the pc is mapping drives fine, it's the laptop which isn't and now the laptop is in safe mode as admin, it's still mapping fine.

4. greenbrucelee

just as a test try creating a power user on the laptop and a power user on the pc and see what happens, give them both the same password (you can delete them aftewards)

5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Update: I tried using the user account in safe mode and I was still able to map the drives. I then boot into normal mode and I can't access the drives that are mapped and I can no longer see the laptop in the workgroup. I think Norton is blocking it or something.... ?

6. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Sorry for spam - I have turned off the Norton internet security and it's now mapping fine.

Thanks for the idea though GBL... now to go battle it out with Norton.

7. greenbrucelee

ahhhhh Nortons I had this issue when I used to have nortons it got binned for being shite.

Go into the part of the firewall that allows you allow or deny incoming and outgoing transmissions, you will see that its blocked, you can either set it to custom or allow fully.

8. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

On another note, I have access to nearly none of her files, while she has access to even my windows folder and program files. Though I think my version of windows is a tad questionable :dry

9. greenbrucelee

is it a copy?

what version does your girlfriend run and what is yours?

10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hm, I just read the windows help file. Apparently access to Windows files, Program files and Documents and Settings folders is restricted - That's why I can't access hers. As for her accessing mine, well my version isn't a legal copy, though I have some legal ones now lying around..

I'm running xp pro on pc and xp home on the laptop.

11. greenbrucelee

I would suggest puttting a legal copy on although since you mentioned Nortons I think that is the main culprit, you should still be able to see the two computers regardless of version.

12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hey

I've got it all working now. I just made a new work group and restarted the drive mapping. Norton was the culprit :p

13. greenbrucelee

Glad you sorted it out, I got pissed off with nortons doing shite like that so wiped my comp reinstalled from scratch and got comodo firewall which is good although the newer updated version isnt as good as the last one.

14. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea, I'd have removed it already if it wasn't for her whinging(apparently she needs to keep it installed to claim her insurance should something ever happen - seems odd). It's really a real resource hogger and, considering how low spec her laptop is, that's not good.

In order to view her PC from mine (vice versa) in the work group I need to disable her Norton, I tried configuring it to allow me access but it didn't work. Once I've mapped the drives though, it can be re-enabled and I can still access the drives.

Well, it's been a good few hours learning experience - even if the job itself shouldn't take more than a few minutes. :p

15. greenbrucelee

remember to enable windows firewall when you disable nortons, just in case :)

16. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

haha 8)