Dreamweaver

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by zxspectrum, Dec 23, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I have what i thought nto be dreamweaver on my computer and it works fine. But the one at uni is a totally different looking on to mine. As im new to it, i dont want to confuse myself with things being in different places so would a site from my com run on the unis com without any probs. Or has anyone got any ideas why these 2 are different looking??

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Isn't there 2 views for dreamweaver MX onwards? One being code view and the other being design view?

Either that or it is a different version? Dreamweaver MX onward looks real different to it's previous versions. But the principles are still the same.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There are several different versions of Dreamweaver.
    It's a bit like comparing Windows 98 to XP.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

ZX - the above two replies are quite true - you haven't given us much to go on...

5. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

What version of Dreamweaver do you use at Uni and at home. Sounds like 2 different versions to be honest!!

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  6. Mr.Cheeks

i dont know Alex - its like XP one two pc's, one with classic view and another with *default* view - same thing under the bonnett, but different "GUI's"...

7. zxspectrum

Ive been messing about with it and ive actually got it to look like the one in uni now. Im just missing the panel group on the right hand side. I was panicking as i thought id have to get the whole program again.

Anyway something else i need help with. Im setting all the page sizes to 800x600. Will they look the same on every screen or will they differ to the settings of peoples monitor resolution. And is there an autosize feature

Eddie

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Eddie,

I seem to remember from a very brief use of Dreamweaver, that the later version opens with a blank canvas compared to the older version that opens with several different panels. - is this what you mean?

If so, this can be changed from the config panel.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

yes m8 they will differ...800x600 used to be a safe bet, but 1024x768 is the norm now. A page designed in 800x600 will look a lot smaller in a higher res...just experiment and you'll get the idea!

Design your pages to centre in the browser - used to be a bit of a shite to do in the old days but browser code is a hell of a lot better now!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends on how your HTML code is created. If you have a table with static values then it will look the same, however if you use percentage values then it will change depending on the screen res and also if you play around with the size of the IE window.

Always best to test! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That depends on many things.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. zxspectrum

I really shouldnt put to much on this as the whole thing is mainly for me getting used to dreamweaver.

The thing im actually doing is making a site for a ficticous food company. We did interviews which was role played by staff at the uni etc. On the sales interview i asked about if they wanted a new site etc, to help with the companys image and new food line etc. This was met with great enthusiasm and i think ill get a better mark for it

Plus its experience, im starting to like the web design more than the fixing of computers etc.

BTW i have been doing the centering of stuff and its starting to look good. Im even putting iamges of cheeses etc and hopefully these images when clicked on, will lead to a page of chat the iimage is.

Eddie

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

We need to know whether Eddie is using CSS to position objects on a page or if he is using basic HTML tables - if tables, you are correct, you can set a table width to be say 80% of the screen and that's how it will look regardless of the resolution. However, you would do better to get advice from a web designer JonnyMX, where are you? how would you address this common issue? :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Agreed, using CSS to code a website is a much better method. I used the example of a table it can show how they are displayed differently with different screen resolutions and when you change the size of the web browser window which in turn can resize the table.

Its good that you are aware of this issue when designing a website so if JonnyMX posts back then maybe you could take his recommendations and see how it improves your test website. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. zxspectrum

I was thinking of the CSS style as ive read it can help people who are partially sighted etc. If i started in CSS would i have an easier time making it or would it be the same appearance

Eddie

16. Mr.Cheeks

check the pin up's in this sub-section - there are plenty of info..