Dream Journal

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Sep 30, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This thread is something of a spin-off from the SLEEP! thread. When reading about sleep dep and hallucinations, I got to thinking about dreams. This thread may end up going nowhere since most people don't remember their dreams, but I do. Back in the late 1970s-early 1980s, I kept a dream journal of sorts. I finally had to stop because it was taking too long to write everything down. Yeah...I have an active dream life.

While I tend to recall dreams as stories, I don't think they originally occur that way. For instance, last night I had a dream where I was a doctor or at least some sort of medical practitioner (I've been watching a lot of "House" lately). It was always night time and the hospital grounds were a collection of different buildings in some sort of industrial complex. I just remember bits and pieces.

I remember talking to a young mentally ill woman. She may or may not have been suicidal. I knew she had a young son who she might have been abusing or neglecting but I couldn't get her to tell me where she lived. She had relatives with her when I was talking with her but they were more interested in helping her not incriminate herself than really being helpful.

I was getting pretty frustrated. I recall following them to the door of the building as they were leaving, trying to get more information about where the woman lived and what she did when not at hospital. I'm not even sure why she was there in the first place.

I recall having to drive from the main building to some smaller structure to do routine treatments on non-critical patients. There was some sort of mystery or cover up involved and I recall having to hide my medical charts from the other staff members and take them with me back to the main hospital. Like I said, in the dream it was always night. Everything was quiet and the general mood was gloomy.

A lot of times, I have very active and even violent dreams. The one I just recounted was stressful but not truly "adventureous". I've had dreams where I've fought vampires, watched myself be incinerated, dreams where I could fly, breathe underwater and even crawl on a ceiling like Spider-Man (including the feeling of blood rushing to my head as I was upside down).

Very rarely, I have a lucid dream. That's when you are still dreaming but become aware that you're dreaming. All of the literature on the subject indicates that once you realize you are dreaming, you should be able to take full control of the events in the dream. That works only a little bit for me. Sometimes I can tell myself I'm dreaming but have no affect on my environment at all. Sometimes, I have only a little control. Once, I realized I was dreaming while standing on a hilltop in Marin County (just north of San Francisco) looking at the Golden Gate bridge. In real life, I lived in Berkeley at the time and wanted to go home. In an instant, I was transported to Berkeley...but the wrong side of town. I tried to think of my apartment and see if the transportation effect would work again, but no dice.

Most of the time, when I realize I'm dreaming, I simply wake up.

I used to think I dreamed in color whereas most people report dreaming in black-and-white. I finally realized I don't dream in full color but in color themes. I once had a series of dreams involving H.G. Wells "The Invisible Man" (complete with bandages and dark goggles) that was all in earth tones. I once recall a dream where I was going to eat a hamburger that was a floresant blue and orange.

How about you? Did you dream last night?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I haven't had a dream for several days now. Been thinking about a few things when I go to bed.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, you dream throughout the night, but the frequency of dreaming increases the longer you sleep, peaking just an hour or so before you wake up. If you never entered REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, you'd start hallucinating in your waking life. Most people don't recall dreaming and that causes some to believe they don't dream. Trust me, you dream.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Er, my missus might see this, so I'm saying nothing...

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I don't think I dream
    at least, I have no recollection of dreaming, let alone what the content was

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I normally can recall that I've been dreaming.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, I'd say that whether or not someone does dream is dependent on the quality of sleep they are getting. If they sleep well enough to get deep into the REM sleep stage, then, yes, they will dream. However, if their sleep quality is so poor that they have little or no REM stage sleep then whether or not they dream may come into question.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. eternalangel

eternalangel Banned

I have amazing dreams - often flying or owning a large company or being god I love the idea of lucid dreaming this happens about every month with me,
    I used to sleep too much like 3/4hrs in the middle of the day and 10 or 11 at night - not cool. Im balanced now about 8 hours a night and maybe a 20 minute power nap. Power naps are awesome when used effectively.

world peace

9. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Strangely enough i often have those dreams where im aware im dreaming. Problem is when i actually realise im dreaming i, usually when i attempt to change my dream (yes i have had dreams where i controlled what was happening :) ), i wake up :(.
    Bang there goes my dam sleep for the night lol.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Lousy "fever dreams" last night (without the fever). I kept dreaming about trying to do things in SharePoint that I couldn't seem to get done, coupled with trying to write about it and not getting the documents to come out right. Guess you can tell what I have on my mind. :D

11. vinnieg24

vinnieg24 Bit Poster

sometimes I dream, and I talk in my sleep..my girlfriend said I was singing one night haha...I don't remember them when I wake up tho:oops:

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Most people don't. The "secret" to remembering at least the last dream you had before awakening is not to jump out of bed the minute your eyes open but spend a few minutes recalling the dream. This is probably the part where the dream becomes a "story" rather than a series of hallucinatory events.

I remember dreaming the past two nights but haven't spent the time recalling the specifics. I do know the general theme was trying to solve some sort of problem, but then, that's the theme of most of my dreams. :rolleyes:

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I hit the "mother lode" this morning. A really entertaining dream and I can recall most of it.

I started out the dream as the Captain of a Star Trek original series Enterprise-type starship. I was making a ship's log entry but I don't remember my name or the name of the starship (but it wasn't "Kirk" and "Enterprise"). I was sitting in the command chair on the bridge but the officers kept changing around me. I remember that I was deciding within the dream who I wanted to fill what position.

I remember settling on an Andorian (blue skin, white hair, antennae) first officer/security officer. The helm and navigation positions were assigned to young, human women. They weren't sisters and didn't really look alike but their collective nickname was "twins" because they were just that close as friends. I don't recall who occupied the other bridge positions.

I received a private communication from Star Fleet command that I had to take in my quarters. I remember getting up from the command chair and traveling by turbolift to the deck where my quarters were. I activated my view screen to receive my orders.

I was told that a group of archaeologists had made an amazing discovery on a distant planet. As this was being described to me, I saw myself standing at the archaeologist's dig, seeing a large number of layers on the wall of a pit. I was told that the scientists determined from the chemical content of each layer that the universe had been destroyed and remade hundreds, maybe thousands of times and that with each destruction, a new timeline was started.

Based on a unique element found in each of these layers, it was concluded that only one race could be responsible for this...a xenophobic race that desires no contact from the Federation. It was further determined that the "flashpoint" of each destructive explosion occured on a planet or space station on the outer rim of their empire and always occurs about 400 years in the past.

Star Fleet intelligence concludes that if we continue to allow this process to go on, there's no promise that the Federation will exist in the next time line or if we will have a dominate position in this quadrant of space. The concern is that the next timeline could leave the Romulans or Klingons in control or even wipe out humanity.

My orders are to stop this process permanently in order to preserve the current timeline and the existance of humanity and the Federation.

There's a present day scientist of this race who is believed the only being with the skills necessary to stop the experiment 400 years ago that is causing all this. Apparently, when the universe is destroyed and remade, this race is the only static element and the experiment always starts over again, with the scientists involved having no memory of all of the other prior attempts which have always ended in disaster.

Since the race is xenophobic, they won't even listen to our subspace radio messages asking for cooperation. My orders are to invade the space station where the present-day scientist is working, kidnap him, take him back in time 400 years and force him to permanently end the experiment because it reaches its conclusion and destroys the current timeline.

We have a rather frank discussion about the temporal prime directive and I'm ordered to drop the matter and just carry out the mission. The time travel process is transmitted by secure frequency into a protected area of the ship's computer, to be accessed only when I give the order.

I remember bits and pieces after that. I have to involve my senior staff in planning this mission. I leave my first officer in command of the ship while I lead the team to invade the space station. We set off a series of diversions to draw away their security while we locate the scientist. We all barely beam out in time before we are captured and one team really almost doesn't make it out.

Meanwhile, the ship's doctor has been tasked with creating an environment for our new captive. They're a humanoid race but have very strict environmental tolerances...must more strict than most of us. I remember at one point, I'm the alien scientist and I'm in sickbay. I extend my left arm and it's sort of a scaly black color. I don't really have a venus system but at will, I can create one to carry nutriants to different parts of my body. I have to have a specific surface of particular minerals to walk on and certain vegetable matter on the walls. One of the conference rooms is converted for my use and I'm really a complaining type of guy (small wonder, I've been kidnapped and asked to betray my ancestors 400 years in the past).

The dream begins to fall apart after that and I start dreaming of different time travel scenarios. I remember a young teenage boy taking his 8 year old sister back in time to a 19th century villiage to show her around and then losing her. He searches for her, first by searching the town and then by searching for any mention of her in time. He finds her a few minutes later (by his perception) but ten years later by hers. She turns out to be a very tall (about six feet tall), leggy and really p1ssed off woman in uptight 19th century garb. He's faced with the ordeal of trying to explain to his parents how all this happened. I remember chewing him out for even thinking of such a bonehead stunt (apparently, I'm a time traveler doing some independent research there when he and his sister first arrive).

There were other related dreams but they're too disjointed to relate as a story line.

14. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

damn me - sounds like a novel proposal not a dream..... when I remember my dreams, irrelevant of how vivid they are, they're never that complex :D

trip - do you have an active imagination in the "real" world??

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Yep. :biggrin

16. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

I dont tend to recall dreams. but the ones i do recall tend to be so much like Real life its hard to tell the boundrys.

the one dream that stickes im my mind was one from when i was at senior school about 8 or 9 years back. i cant remember all of the exact details. but it basicly consited of me wakeing up late for school going and doing my normal morning rotutine.
    i walked to school and keped getting funny looks and couldent work out why. so i got to school and sat down for morning registration and the kids started hecling me and i suddenly realise im nto actually weraing nay clothes. but for some reason go throught the whole day like this :S. nothing was said and none of the teachers seemed to notice,

i then woke up and spent all weekend trying to work out if it was real or not as it was so vivid i hadnt a clue.

so possibly that was my first lucid dream.

since then i havent recalled many dreams or they have just blended into the background.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The "being out in public undressed" seems to be a common dream. I remember being in high school and dreaming I was at school with no pants on. I was pretty embarrassed and quite relieved when I woke up and realized it was just a dream.

I fly very commonly in dreams but one of the common themes is not being able to stay up in the air. :oops: